Author Topic: To Restore or Not to Restore  (Read 1235 times)

jims

• Star
    • View Profile
To Restore or Not to Restore
« on: 17 May, 2019, 17:35:23 »
Hi,
I just bought my first vintage BSA... a 1962 C15ss. It is in good original shape but is missing original scrambler fenders and is sporting the C15 painted versions. The paint has some chips but overall good and pipes show rust.  I intend to go through the engine and polish or rechrome all parts as needed and will have to source some appropriate fenders.My question as a first timer at this is whether I will detract from the value of the bike with a repaint. And if is is not so bad to repaint should I select a stock color from the original colors offered that I might like better than the current red/orange color. I will probably spend much more time working on it versus riding it and would probably look for another bike when I'm done.
Thank You
Jim

bart

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: To Restore or Not to Restore
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2019, 22:13:19 »
sell it now and buy a complete wreck, you obviously don`t want to ride a motorcycle very much..

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2019, 23:01:38 »
sell it and buy a Japanese bike, sounds like you are more worried about the value.
restoring bikes/cars isnt done for the money it can get you, you spend more on them. some parts you will end up having to make.
I could sell you a 750 Laverda for £4000, you spend another £3000 on it and would probably stand a chance of a shilling or two, or I could sell you a GS500 for £500 , I make £100 and you can  ride it away with a carb clean be as good as new, starting to be collected by local VMCC members as cheap runners and future classics.Nice little RSX100 for £800 collectable 2 stroke on the up.

point being, we bought a 1965 B40 and the frame has been away a month and does not look too good, bent, cracked and bits missing. you would need to go through the frame if you had any thoughts about riding. paid £1000 . frame will then have to be painted  and not mentioned the motor yet.

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2019, 08:40:16 »
Jim,

I'm thinking you may be in the U.S? (fenders vs mudguards). If you're doing this mainly for profit I suggest you research the sold prices of restored C15ss. These are not valuable bikes. The SS maybe a little more than the base model but not that much.

Over here - I suspect the cost of a full, quality restoration - especially if you're considering re-chroming - would be about the same as the re-sale value if not more.

Also, it might be worth checking that you do indeed have an SS and not just a C15 frame with a replacement SS engine which sounds possible.

Regards,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

jims

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2019, 22:13:25 »
Wow! You'd think I was giving my opinion on brexit.  I'm 73 years old and had my riding days more than 50 years ago. By this time in my life I can build or fix anything and I usually take pleasure in doing so. I recently restored a Tiffany tall case clock from 1898 that I inherited from my recently deceased mother and long deceased great great uncle. Properly restored it may be worth $6,000 to $8,000. Botched up it may look nice but would only pull $3,000. So yes, I don't like to piss away money because I didn't take the time to research the proper techniques.  I think the c15ss picked me and not it. But I thought it would be a good start. Small, easy to work on and a BSA. If it was about a profit I'd go out and develop real estate which I do for a living. And if it was all about riding I'd buy a tank so I'd be safe from texters, cell phoners and bad drivers. For me this was about nostalgia and a nice way to pass the time. 
Bernie, thanks for your thoughts. The serial numbers show  15S 686 so I am guessing it is a scrambler.
Any other constructive thoughts would be welcome. 

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2019, 22:32:14 »
Jim, sorry if you feel offended, but, on many forums , even strict militaria, you get sarcasm and wit.
I've had a few replies like it...Mentioning detracting from value does not help.... It is what it is.
Ignore the value part and probably originality, it's a 50+ year old Brit, it won't be original unless you spend a fortune that you won't get back.
One of our tooling reps always came in and told me what he had bought now... The same argument always followed... Result.. He polishes, paints and goes through 110% then trailers everywhere, I rebuild, does what is needed and ride. After a recent discussion on here, you may not even get the original colour shade anymore.
Rebuild it the way you want, ask away questions, and enjoy.

Ps, surprised you found one, most seem to be coming back across the pond , home again, by the container load. My sons B40 and my A50 both came back this year, neither will be original. Look for the bumble bee on one of my first posts!!

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2019, 11:00:14 »
 :) :)

I just spend forever doing the little jobs. Could have bought the honda factory for what these little jobs cost.(but then I would have only had a japer) But the shed is a good place to hide and its fun and I can stop whenever and I can sit and talk about it and I can phantasize about what it will look like next year or the year after or the one after that. And it doesn't matter one iota to anyone and ultimately least of all me. My riding days have also vanished in the gloom of existence. So its yours to do just what you like with. Enjoy it.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Marshall

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2019, 21:39:34 »
Hi.

I'm restoring a 61 C15 roadster. When I bought it off a mate, it was all there and original, just the battery missing but it was extremely tired looking. This was about three years ago, I've been buying bits and pieces ever since and this year started to restore it. It will never be worth the cost of the new parts let alone the cost of labour if I had to pay someone to do the job but that doesn't matter, its all about the dirty hands, chipped nails and the sense of achievement when thigs start to come together. The bike will never be a show winner but hopefully it will be reliable and presentable. Whatever, I'll be able to say its all my own work and I'm proud of what I've done. Not everyone can say that!

jims

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2019, 02:46:42 »
Thanks for the support guys. I haven’t been able to start on it yet. I am across the pond as you say. I’m sure I’ll be looking for help as I go forward.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2019, 05:13:50 »
Have a look at britishonly.com very useful for parts books and manuals.
Other web sites available  ;D