Author Topic: Nostalgic smell  (Read 2429 times)

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Nostalgic smell
« on: 15 May, 2019, 19:06:34 »
Hi all, would a drop of Castrol R in the petrol tank do any harm to a four stroke carb ie block the jets or upset the mixture, just love the smell at classic bike races.thanks Roy

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgic smell
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2019, 20:05:21 »
I love that smell.
I used to put a capfull in my shooting star in the 60's with no ill effects.

Another Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2019, 20:17:36 »
 :) :) :)

Theoretically weaken the mixture, but in practice the amount you are thinking about shouldn't make any difference.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2019, 22:28:56 »
Shouldn't make any difference, only reason for not using nowadays is twofold, one not needed with today's technology and second, read the Opie report, not to be mixed with mineral based or synthetic oils. Probably because it does not mix. On Brit bikes it's trying to keep oil and fuel apart.
In the olden race, speedway days it used to lacquer the casings and could block oil ways so swapping between race and road meant strip and thorough clean. Possibly, with today's fuel containing ethanol may be worth mixing a small test fuel and oil then set alight and see if there is residue that could block jets.
If nothing else, smells great.

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2019, 11:53:52 »
Well I absolutely hate the stuff, so much so, I'd rather follow a 2 stroke for any distance that suffer the sickly, half burnt smell of Castrol R.
It might be OK for the rider using it, but for the poor chaps following on a classic ride-out it's purgatory.
One of the blokes who leads the regular weekly rides at my local motorcycle club uses it in his Guzzi and BM so I don't think it causes any damage as he never has carburation problems or anything, but the worst part of the rides for me are when you are next in turn for the drop off and you have to be behind him for a while. Maybe I should volunteer for tail-end Charlie!
Chris

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2019, 11:58:06 »
Thanks for the replies might have a word with a racer I know,Roy

BEEZABRYAN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2019, 13:42:51 »
Well I absolutely hate the stuff, so much so, I'd rather follow a 2 stroke for any distance that suffer the sickly, half burnt smell of Castrol R.
Chris

I totally agree Chris, it is both pointless and offensive.
And I do not like following two smokes running on 16:1 engine oil because that is what the 1950s owners handbook .

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2019, 14:30:31 »
Have you noticed that following any petrol engined vehicle without a catalyst the smell is pretty awful? I'm sure it never used to be that bad.
Got stuck for a while behind a Scott. Not normally too smoky with their separate oil feed but was pleased to get past.
Not keen on the smell of R either.
Just fussy... 

Matt Brighton

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2019, 21:41:28 »
There are many threads on different forums about running a bike/car on Castrol  R - and adding it to petrol for the smell

many (inc me) like the smell - reminds me of speedway and race meetings with my dad in the late 60's and early 70's . Also many do not....

Some maintain it gums up the piston rings if mixed with petrol as a "perfume" additive  - others say not and have never experiences any issues...

Here is a response posrted on Piston Heads from either a  UK oil supplier for classic cars and bikes  - might have been Opie or a Castrol main distributor  (I can't remember but just saved the text)  to an enquiry about the same thing.................

"I can confirm that you can still purchase Castrol R as a SAE 40 grade oil. Castrol R 40 can be obtained from Castrol Classic Oils (Tel: 01954 231668 or see the link on the Castrol.com/uk website) or one of their distributors.

We don’t really recommend it for use in modern machinery because there are more suitable modern oils available such as Castrol Power 1 Racing 10W-40 and Castrol Power 1 GPS 10W-40. The oil change guidelines for your machine will be calculated based on the use of a modern oil such as these and it is difficult for us to give accurate advice on what frequency of oil change would be needed if you were running on Castrol R40, but it could be as low as every 1,000 miles.

Castrol R 40 is a very good lubricant under certain circumstances, however it is relatively unstable and will therefore tend to promote the build up of deposits in your engine. It may not work perfectly with your wet clutch either.

The instability of Castrol R means it is also not recommended for long term storage, so if you were going to store your bike for 6 months, we would suggest you consider filling with new Castrol R at the start of the storage period and draining and replacing with new oil at the end, before using the bike again. If storing for longer than 6 months, it may be worth switching back to a modern mineral, part-synthetic or full synthetic.

We are often asked about the best way to obtain the Castrol R odour and from our discussions we are aware that many people add a small amount to their fuel. Just how much seems to be an inexact science, but generally the less you can get away with the better. You might like to start with 1000:1 fuel:R ratio (20ml of R in a 20 litre fuel tank) and see how that works, adding more oil if there is insufficient effect. I would suggest if you get as far as 100:1 (200ml of oil in a 20 litre fuel tank) and still aren’t getting the effect you want, you might want to re-consider the benefits versus the downsides!"

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2019, 22:20:34 »
Or buy your own speedway Jawa or JAP.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2019, 10:51:12 »
Hi all, wow I think Iv'e upset a hornets nest, thanks for the wonderful replies (good job I didn't mention I liked marmite) Roy

Matt Brighton

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2019, 11:05:49 »
Its a close second place to the ....mineral v synthetic oil .... debates on other classic vehicle (car and motorbike) forums I frequent

ps - I like marmite too   :)

Csx355

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:06:30 »
Marmite, peanut butter and cheese sandwich with granary bread - oh god that's almost a Castrol R experience!
BantamS - Work in Progress
B40SS - Finished
B44 Trail - Finished
B44 Road - Nearly Finished

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:56:48 »
(good job I didn't mention I liked marmite) Roy

I hate the stuff
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2019, 15:15:50 »
That info from Castrol Classic oils says it all

"We are often asked about the best way to obtain the Castrol R odour and .........."

So, why would you put a touch in your petrol when you ain't going to smell it whilst riding as the smell will be left in the air behind you?

My case rests m'lud!

Chris