Author Topic: Brake Arms which way up ?  (Read 1287 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Brake Arms which way up ?
« on: 14 May, 2019, 17:30:31 »
As a regular viewer on Ebay I have noticed that some people turn the rear brake arm from down to the up position. I have noticed this mainly on late 650 BSA's and their cousins from Meriden. Is there any advantage refitting this lever upwards ?  :-\

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Arms which way up ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2019, 19:07:31 »
The up pointing lever was longer and took a different return spring.

The service sheet below explains.

It was only for the twins not singles or triples as the other service sheets explain.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2019, 17:47:48 »
That is interesting, I thought it may have been cosmetic. Will look into sourcing parts as my brand new back brake is rubbish to say the least. Thanks.

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2019, 15:28:44 »
Many years ago, when contributor Lucas Tenebres was sending us 'From the other side of the counter' articles, this very subject came up. Here is the copy.

Other side of the counter

Previously, I mentioned problems which emanated from the factory and how they affected the way we ran the dealership.
 As some of you may know, the factory issued to dealers special service sheets. These were called dealer service sheets and service advisory notes. Some were not to be seen by the customer. Early ones came with the BSA winged symbol on a blue background and the later ones had the BSA   winged symbol in red, in a white circle inside a red square. These were sometimes called Redtops and Blue tops. One of the redtops arrived, with the subject, “Rear brake rod change.” At the time, in about July 1972, all models in the range had a brake rod connected to the pedal, which ran along the swinging arm, and connected to a brake arm on the drum, which dropped down. The brakes were fairly efficient, especially if the leading and trailing shoe were put in correctly, more of that another time. The advisory told the dealer to change the position of the rod, so that it ran upwards and to change the angled brake arm, for the ones which would be supplied. These were needed, as the brake arm has an angled slot on it and so would not work if turned upside down. Those of you who have these bikes, may have wondered why there is a hole on each of the webs where the brake cam pin comes through. It's because the advisory said to also drill the other web, so the brake return spring will work in the other direction. This was to be done to all the bikes in the showroom and to each bike as they came in for service or repair. I passed the sheet to Mick, the workshop foreman and asked him to come and see me when he had read it. Ten minutes later Mick was in my office. “What do you think boss?” “I'll tell you what I think, those idiots in Slumberglade Hall are at it again. If we do this, it will take at least an hour for each bike, and it will cause other problems such as fouling the suspension unit.” “Also boss, on a bike which is already being used the brake shoes would have bedded in, with the relevant side of the cam, turning it round will use the other side of the cam so they will have to bed in again.” Mick said. “Plus there is a possibility of it catching a pillions boot” I said. “Right” I decided “ we are not going to change it” “ You can't do that boss, if the factory find out you will be in trouble.” Mick said. “OK.” I said, you ride a 1971 B25, change it on yours and let me know if it works or not.” Next morning Mick was back in the office. “Changed it yesterday boss and went out with the missus last night. She ain't happy, scuffed her new shoes on the brake rod, plus, when we hit a bump the rod touched the shocker, and as for the rear brake it is not as good as it was.” “Change it back then Mick” I said. “Already have boss”. “This won't work Mick, so don't change any, as it will take us time we don't have and I bet, in a few months, they'll tell us to change them all back again, taking up more time we don't have.” I said.
A few weeks later the area rep was in the shop and asked to see me. “I see you have not changed any of the brake rods over on the bikes in the shop” he said. “No” I said, and we haven't changed any of the customers brake rods over either.” He gave me a lecture about how the factory were always right and that we would suffer for not doing as we were told.  I told him what had happened on Mick's bike, but he didn't believe me. “This has been fully tested at Umberslade Hall” he said before he stormed out shouting “you will regret this”. Once the rep had reported back, there followed, over the next weeks, several letters telling us we must do as advised or else, which I ignored, then, a few months later, out of the blue, another service advisory arrived. This one asked us to change the brake rods back due to it causing other problems. I called Mick in and showed it to him. “That's one in the eye for the area rep. How did you know boss?” he asked. “Intuition Mick, intuition.” I replied
Because many of the dealers had disposed of the original brake arms. the factory had to jig up and make hundreds of the original type that went downwards. Shortly afterwards, sadly, BSA went bust.

The moral of the story is.         If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yours
               Lucas Tenebres

This may throw some light on the legend. For pictures look in the November 2013 copy of The Star.
Chris

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2019, 17:57:56 »
Editor, that was a good read; did you type all that from memory. Just shows how opinions change. I have identified all the bits in s/steel, I must have more money than sense. Do I or don't I ?

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2019, 20:03:56 »
Thank God for cut and paste! Without that I would need a staff of about 4 typists to produce The Star.
Chris