Author Topic: Hello and Looking for some information  (Read 897 times)

Stew

• Star
    • View Profile
Hello and Looking for some information
« on: 01 May, 2019, 09:37:46 »
Morning all,

First of all hello as I am new to these parts so to speak (not necessarily to internet forums but definitely to the world of classic motorbikes), and apologies of this is not the correct part of this board to post in.  Anyway before I start rambling too much I may as well explain why I'm here, my Grandpa on my Dad's side was a very active trails rider in the 1930's on-wards until 1950 (I think).  He sadly died in 1995 but it was only after his death that the rest of the family discovered that he had ridden for the CSMA Team in the 1939 ISDT in Salzburg, competitor number 47.

He was definitly on a works provided BSA Goldstar/Silverstar (not exactly sure what as it appears to be some sort of factory hybrid possibly), have even heard it mentioned that it was a Goldstar with Alloy head?  The registration number was at the time FOC 776, I do have the chassis/engine numbers but not to hand here (they are very low 1939 numbers though I believe).
Anyway, my main question is this...Does anyone know what happened to the teams machine's after they were handed back to the factory?  Did they survive? I know that his was handed back to the BSA factory after the event and have a letter from Burt Perrigo apologising for the machines eventual downfall on day 4.  I know its a long shot but it would be cool to find out what happened to them.
I have a collection of paperwork related to this event along with 50% of his trophy collection, I think my cousin has the other half, this collection includes numerous CSMA trophies from that period.

Any help/knowledge from anyone would be great to help fill out some of the pieces. 

I will leave it there for now.

Stew

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and Looking for some information
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2019, 11:00:11 »
FOC776 is a Birmingham plate from a series used in April and May 1939.

The M24 Gold Star of that year used an aluminium cylinder and head, the Silver Star iron items.

I will send you a PM.

Stew

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2019, 18:09:31 »
Thank you Julian, I have PM’d you some info.

Thanks

Stew

Stew

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2019, 09:40:32 »
Sorry for the lack of posting on this one for a while, but just wanted to say that if anyone is interested I have filmed a short piece to camera for the Antiques Roadshow World War 2 special talking about the ISDT of 1939, the result is that this is being shown this Sunday on BBC1 at 8pm (8th September).  So if you are a loose end please check it out.

Stew

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2019, 14:40:32 »
Thanks for the Heads up Stew!