Author Topic: Alternator wires C15  (Read 1222 times)

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Alternator wires C15
« on: 18 April, 2019, 14:38:35 »
Hi
Does anyone know which wire from the alternator goes to the loom? from the alternator I have a G&W and G&B. On the loom side I have a dark green and a light green.

Thanks
BobM

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator wires C15
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2019, 22:13:22 »
I joined the green/black to the dark green and the white/green to the light green and didn't notice any change to the ammeter which was slightly on the neg side so I swapped them around and still no change on the ammeter.

I tested the alternator with a bulb which lit up nice and bright, so the alternator works ok.

I then let the engine run with the lights on and within 10 mins the lights started to dim and then the engine cut out, the battery was now at 5v so it looks like the battery isn't charging but the alternator seems to be giving good output.

Everything is new i.e. new battery, loom, rectifier, etc.

Has anybody got any ideas, it's doing my head in now  :(

Regards
BobM

AdrianS

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2019, 09:17:19 »
Have you got a wiring diagram for the bike? If not, you can download one from the Bsaunitsingles web site.
Not sure on the correct colouring for your bike but with the diagram you can trace where each alternator wire goes to.If the battery is draining it could be faulty. The rectifier could also be faulty - not uncommon! Replace with either a regulator rectifier or one of the cheap solid state ones off fleabay for about £3.

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2019, 15:47:10 »
Thanks Adrian

I don't know if this is correct or not. last night I remembered that I had two wires in the headlight (photo) that didn't go to any number on the switch or wiring diagram. I first checked with a light bulb across the two wires and it lit up, the higher I revved the bike the bulb got brighter so I just joined them together and now the ammeter moves into the + when I rev the bike and then drops back to the middle on tickover. I let it run for 10 mins like this and nothing untoward happened  like blowing a fuse or the wiring getting hot, the only thing that warmed up was the rectifier but I guess that it should do by dumping excess amps/volts what ever it should dump (see I'm no electrician) The battery is charging again. I hope someone can tell me what I've done because like I say I can't see anything on the wiring diagram telling me to connect white/brown and white/green together.

Thanks
Bob