Author Topic: Vehicle Substantial Changes  (Read 242 times)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Vehicle Substantial Changes
« on: 18 April, 2019, 08:54:35 »
 :) :) :)

Greetings.

As you may have seen from a couple of my recent posts I am in the process of trying to put a hydraulic brake on the front of my A50. It was suggested that this would be considered a "Substantial Change" and may invalidate the NO MOT rules. This of course created some discussion as the rules seemed a bit 'wooly'

So I wrote to the FBHVC and asked for guidance.  I received This answer from The Director of Legislation.

Quote .
"The important thing to bear in mind is that this is an unchecked system relying entirely on the judgement and honesty of the keeper when he applies for the vehicle to be taxed.

Firstly as regards running gear the guidance is limited to changes to steering and suspension. Secondly if running is deemed to include brakes, the guidance clearly permits changes made to increase efficiency and safety.

So when you replace a brake on a motorcycle, if you can honestly say that the new brake increases efficiency and safety of the bike, you are correct to sign off a V112 or check the online page, that the vehicle has not been substantially changed as defined" Unquote

So when I get it finished if its successful it will be legal. I would add that, in my opinion, if it won't pass an MOT it shouldn't be on the road

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle Substantial Changes
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2019, 18:37:35 »
Hi Mike,
             Interesting read, thanks for sharing  :)

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2019, 11:46:45 »
Mike the most interesting thing about the whole reply is that common sense seems to have prevailed here at last!

:D

derek

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2019, 16:35:15 »
One of my 500 British Twins has Suzuki front forks and front wheel, Kawasaki rear wheel. It stops on a sixpence on either brake. By the way it was not my handy work but it feels safer. would cost a small fortune to convert back as I don't have the old parts  :-\

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2019, 19:51:14 »
 :) :)

O married a Commando front end to my A65 in the 70's. Super stopping power. I recall selling my complete front end to someone who had killed his.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

chaz

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2019, 07:27:58 »
my A7 (1955) bobber has a Aprilia RS125 front and back end fitted. runs on 3 spoke cast rims,with hydraulic brakes front and rear.
never had a problem with insuring or MOT'ing it and has a modern V5

Editor

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2019, 15:10:10 »
I had a Commando with the standard Lockheed disc brake on the front and it was by far the worst brake I have ever had the 'pleasure' to use. It was worse than a 1950's 7" SLS brake.
When I queried this the response was, 'They are all that bad, put up with it, or get rid of it and fit a Norvil disc' (around 300 at the time). I got rid of the Commando instead!!
Chris