Author Topic: BSA C15 250cc 1967 oil leak  (Read 889 times)

Tamesider

• Star
    • View Profile
BSA C15 250cc 1967 oil leak
« on: 31 March, 2019, 13:50:44 »
Hi I need help.I have an oil leak that seems to be coming from the kickstart shaft.Have replaced the shaft seal,no luck.The books say check the non-return valve on the feed and return oil lines, where is the valve on the feed line located?.Any advice regarding oil leaks would be most welcome.Regards Jeff.

BEEZABUCK

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: BSA C15 250cc 1967 oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2019, 19:19:19 »
Hello mate
I'm not an expert, but often the kick start spindle gets damaged by the cotter pin being hammered in over time and spreads the metal, but you would know as the shaft will not come through the bush it sits in without damaging the bush and oil seal(seal is the right way round?) If oil is getting passed the oil return valve(which is usually right at the bottom of the motor in a tube at the sump area just below the oil pump)it will drain down into the cases and will see the oil tank level has dropped quite a bit. That all I can say at the moment.
 Hope that helps.

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: BSA C15 250cc 1967 oil leak
« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2019, 10:48:16 »
no matter what you do it will leak, iv had side cased on a c15 machined flat and they still leaked.
iv got one a bike that iv just done a non return manual shut off for the oil feed, but thats not to stop a leak thats to stop wet sumping

the non return valve you mention, will be in the engine oil feed just inside the crank case. engine apart to sort that.