Author Topic: A65 Kick Start Quadrant  (Read 1171 times)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
A65 Kick Start Quadrant
« on: 27 March, 2019, 16:53:49 »
 :) :)

I was just reassembling the quadrant and lining up the kick start ratchet when I found that it was possible for the two items to jam together. As it was moved, the short "tooth" painted green was able to jam up solid against the apex of the tooth on the ratchet. How often this is likely to occur is anybody's guess. I solved it easily by grinding about +010" off. I've no idea whether or not it would ever be a problem in service.

My A50 kickstart occasionally jams so when I have a moment or six I'll check it out.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A65 Kick Start Quadrant
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2019, 19:39:01 »
dont know why, but Ive had a couple of bikes where the first tooth has had to be doctored after years of use and its first strip down. It may be because of the way we rebuild them. maybe we should rebuild one tooth higher.

Servodyne

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2019, 20:08:42 »
The short tooth is the most important tooth on the whole quadrant. It's function is to pre-position the teeth on the pinion so that they don't go apex to apex and jam. It does this by being short enough to miss the leading pinion tooth and just 'nudge the next one so as to align subsequent teeth so that they mesh and not jam. By grinding 10 thou off you have probably made it worst. In your first photo where the teeth are in line, the short tooth should just be nudging the pinion around slightly so that the next tooth engages smoothly.
In my photo, the quadrant is a brand new one as supplied by SRM and was exactly the same as your photo. It was in my friends A65 and jammed immediately. Unfortunately by the time he got the bike going it was well out of warranty, so he didn't return it. The measurement from tooth to the far side of the spigot is 38.3mm. It's worth bearing this in mind if you buy a new one as this dimension should be at least 39mm IMHO so that it 'just' catches the tooth on the pinion.
I bought a new one from Burton bike bits for my A65 and this measurement was around 39.2mm and it works perfectly.
Hope this helps
Jim

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2019, 11:56:57 »
Thanks for that. I just looked at mine agen and judging by the sides it could well have had a burr on it. Too late to say for certain.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2019, 09:35:35 »

Quick follow up; having taken another look it is almost certainly, as pointed out, that simple wera had allowed it to get to this position and jam.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2019, 20:38:38 »
To Servodyne  Hi Jim.
I read yours on this with a great deal of interest. So---I dug out another one and after I had cleaned the FeO off I put it in place and was able to see exactly what you said. Mine had worn enough to let it slide under the first "proper" tooth. So assuming that the original was forged rather than cast I may just build the face again with a low hydrogen rod then fettle it gently to the measurements that you gave. Basically nothing to lose so I'll give it a go. Will be annoying if its cast cos that will need more heat and that's probably not good on that item mainly cos its out of site. Must say I doubt if its cast.

I'll post the result eventually???If I remember

Thanks agen Mike 8) 8) 8)

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2019, 13:19:00 »
Gentlemen! I had the same problem with a new quadrant  on one of my A65's years ago and in the end left the original in place. So, with your permission I would like to use your writings in a Tech Article about this in a future edition of The Star.
If you'd prefer I don't then let me know.
Many thanks in advance
Chris

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2019, 14:40:30 »

Greetings Chris.

You are most welcome to use any input I make to the forum.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Servodyne

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2019, 15:49:39 »
No problem Chris.
I had thought about having the short tooth built up with weld on my mate's quadrant but decided against it when I found out that the one from Burton Bike bits was only half the price to the one from SRM.
Jim

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April, 2019, 16:17:21 »

I just put another quadrant in and as you can see the "small" tooth sits right behind the tooth on the start cog and over laps by about 030" maybe 040". Certainly enuff to pick it up and move it as previously explained.

Sorry about state of foto, its just one more thing that I aint very good at.

Take care Mike 8) 8) 8)

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April, 2019, 16:46:01 »
Thanks Chaps!