Author Topic: kickstart feels dead  (Read 413 times)

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
kickstart feels dead
« on: 21 March, 2019, 17:02:56 »
hi all,

the kickstart feels dear under foot, like its not spinning the engine, and very dull feel, any ideas?

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: kickstart feels dead
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2019, 18:10:40 »
is the clutch slipping?

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2019, 19:14:27 »
im going to strip it again tomorrow and see, im hopeful its simple, but i suspect its possibly a kick shaft problem.

feels very stiff, and grindy, but isnt engaging the engine, or feels like its spinning the clutch, as i can pull the clutch in, and immediately releases and feels like normal kickstart with the clutch in.

cdsdorset

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2019, 20:17:44 »
Check if the clutch appears to rotate all the time , not at all or randomly.
I have had a bike shear the clutch hub keyway key.

Bees

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2019, 21:23:23 »
Pulling the clutch lever in should make the kick start feel floppy as it wont turn the engine.

Check it in stages. Start at the kick start. Is it a cotter pin. Rather than a splined shaft?

Make sure the quadrant is engaging with the shaft correctly. Check the 1st couple of teeth. If they are worn it could explain the grinding feeling.

Then check for clutch slip.

Does the kick start lever ever jamb in the down position?
« Last Edit: 21 March, 2019, 21:27:39 by Bees »

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2019, 14:11:52 »
thanks guys,

firstly its a cotter pin, so no splines to wear

primary case off, and have made a few adjustments to clutch plates, kicks over better and does what it should, apart from now i cant engage the clutch, iv played with the adjuster, the cable, and the lever, arghhhhhh

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2019, 15:56:44 »
Ah, the joys of BSA clutches.

Carefully adjust the plate springs to make sure the pressure plate lifts square.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2019, 18:54:51 »
after a lot of messing about over the last few weeks with this, issue, im now

able to kick the bike off, and feels 70% right and not as dead as before
get the bike running
unabe to engage a gear, the clutch is now not opening enough

iv adjusted the cable and inner adjuster to, fully in, fully out and every where in between

iv backed off the 3 springs on clutch from fully tight (clutch wouldnt even hold off it spinning and no movement on the basket) to a bit less and now at least i can see the basket moving outward

the only thing i can think of is the puchrod from the actuator arm has something holding it tight.

i need to make another spring head remover tomorrow as the one i made is now bent and is struggeling to turn the spring heads (brand new other day)

phew, im off to sit and read the service book, see if i can fathom it

cdsdorset

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2019, 20:33:57 »
Have you checked that the pushrod is straight?

Bees

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2019, 21:01:19 »
I think it would be good to take the clutch apart and reassemble. Undo all the springs. Take out all plates. Check they aren't bent and you've got some decent 'meat' on them.

Check the tabs that fit into the slots of the outer basket. They get a bit chewed up but can easily be dressed with a file. May explain grinding / restricted movement.

Check the pushrod isnt bent and fouling somehow. I haven't got a diagram to check but you may need a ball bearing at cable end if the push rod. Make sure he's there if you need one.

Then reassemble. Not got a manual for a your bike but probably tighten springs to 1 thread showing on each of studs. Then screw in the adjuster until tight back off 1/4 turn or so and lock. Adjust cable so a small amount of slack at handle bars.

I pull the clutch lever in an tape it to the handlebar. Using a ruler I check the plate is lifting evenly all round and tweak the clutch springs if needed.

Try the kickstart, if the clutch slips tighten all 3 springs equally. E.g 1/4 turn each.

Should be good to go. Good luck let us know.

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2019, 00:17:56 »
great stuff thanks