Author Topic: Anyone Know the Year/Model of this BSA?  (Read 1055 times)

aintexactlyrossi

• Star
    • View Profile
Anyone Know the Year/Model of this BSA?
« on: 15 March, 2019, 14:47:56 »
I'd appreciate any help to identify the year and specific model of the BSA in this photo.  The photo was taken of my father in 1955 or 1956 aboard a BSA that he owned while serving in the Air Force in Chaumont, France.  Anyone able to identify it?  I'm hoping to find a similar year/model for eventual restoration.  Thank you!

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Know the Year/Model of this BSA?
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2019, 15:46:49 »
Can't be exact on the date but it would have been upto a couple of years old in the photo.
It is either an A10 (650cc) or A7 (500) twin.. Excluding cylinder head fins the the A10 has 8 and the A7 has 7.

If you have any record of frame number then the BSAOC coiuld provide a dating certificate with exact model number (you'll need to be a member though)
« Last Edit: 15 March, 2019, 15:49:08 by DEAN SOUTHALL »
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

aintexactlyrossi

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2019, 19:43:23 »
Dean - Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, he sold that bike before he returned to the US (and just a few years before I was born).  As such, I don't have any more detail on the bike (this photo and my moms stories are my only clues).  Dad passed many years ago so - again - not a lot to go on.  However, your insight is really helpful.  Now to see if I can count the number of fins from that photo!

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2019, 20:35:14 »
it looks like an A10 Gold Flash 1955 with the ariel hubs, nice looking bike and cracking picture thanks for posting it.

aintexactlyrossi

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2019, 00:22:18 »
Excellent!  Thanks for the feedback.  Truly appreciate it. 

Regarding the photo, itís my favorite all-time pic of my father.  It demonstrates both his sense of adventure and discriminating taste in motorcycles!

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2019, 08:56:31 »
if it was a Triumph he was on i could have sworn your father was Steve McQueen  :D

Any other military pics?

cheers derek

aintexactlyrossi

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2019, 18:01:10 »
Derek - Ha!  I don't think he ever jumped a fence fleeing the Germans. He'd certainly have shared that story with me!  However, he actually did own a 1953 Triumph while in Europe, as well.  I've got registration paperwork but no photos of that bike.  He bought the Triumph in 1956 for $200 USD. Chassis number was 38829.  Finding that actual bike (if it still exists) would be and epic feat!  Wish I had the chassis numbers on the BSA.  Cheers!

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2019, 20:38:47 »
Derek - Ha!  I don't think he ever jumped a fence fleeing the Germans. He'd certainly have shared that story with me!  However, he actually did own a 1953 Triumph while in Europe, as well.  I've got registration paperwork but no photos of that bike.  He bought the Triumph in 1956 for $200 USD. Chassis number was 38829.  Finding that actual bike (if it still exists) would be and epic feat!  Wish I had the chassis numbers on the BSA.  Cheers!

38829 would be a pre unit T100 or T110 Triumph, i would think he would have had a 650 T110!

Nice bike.

bikerbob

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2019, 18:59:17 »
With those hubs it could be dated anytime from August 1955 through to end of July 1957. I believe that those winged badges were only used for those years on the A10 swinging arm with the Ariel hubs the A7 had the round badges.