Author Topic: Riding insurance for overseas visitors to international rally  (Read 230 times)

Rupert

• Star
    • View Profile
Hi, anyone have any suggestions how I can insure a club mate from Denmark to ride one of my uk bikes to attend the international?
I'm with FJ, they say they can't add my mate to my insurance as a named driver as he's not a UK citizen.
But foreign nationals can be insured to drive here, they do it every time they hire a car.
Anyone out there with motoring insurance connections who can solve this one?
I expect there will be several visitors to the rally in the same situation...

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Riding insurance for overseas visitors to international rally
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2019, 20:05:44 »
I am not surprised you can't insure him. Following the usual approach, he should get insurance back home that covers him for riding abroad.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Rupert

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2019, 18:20:33 »
Hi, thanks for your reply. I agree that it may be easiest for my visitor to sort out his insurance from his own country, but the problem is he hopes to fly in and ride one of my bikes. Can't see his insurers wearing that one as it would be a bike not already on his policy and registered in a different country.
Does not compute with them...
But this is exactly what foreign visitors do when they come here and hire a car for example, on an insurance policy in this country.
Insurance companies doesn't seem all that hot on joined-up thinking but that is exactly what is needed here. They could even make a few quid out of offering this sort of cover.
Any takers footman James, carol nash et al??
Rupert.

bluesboy

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2019, 19:43:51 »
 Hi Rupert I have the same problem as yourself my friend in Denmark would like to borrow one of my bikes to ride at the Inter. my Insurance company footman James said only people living in the UK for 2 years and I rang Carol Nash and there answer was the same so then I rang Peter James 01215066040 and was told yes E U people can be added on nearer the time at a cost of around 40
so I had a quote from them with all the things I had from Footman James and it was 70 cheaper so give them a ring Greame.

Rupert

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2019, 21:52:17 »
Many thanks bluesboy! I'll look at moving my insurance over to peter James.
Regards, Rupert.

DAVE BRADY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2019, 08:31:30 »
Not particularly relevant to me but I did a bit of surfing anyway and came across a company called 'Dayinsure'. They seem to do exactly what is being asked for, but do not mention motorcycles.  I have asked them if they do but no reply yet.  Perhaps if enough people enquire they will set something up.

Dave.

DAVE BRADY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2019, 15:19:49 »
Update on 'Dayinsure' is that they do not do any motorcycle cover.  I have asked them why.

Dave