Author Topic: C15 Hub  (Read 1526 times)

TIGERJ

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
C15 Hub
« on: 30 March, 2017, 21:09:32 »
Hi people
Me again thanks for all the replies.
The cracked hub is still waiting for repair.
I managed to get a good spare so will use that one.
Now my rim is not good enough to spend on a rebuild so any thought on what type of new
rim. Stainless or chrome . What about the width, I always think a wider back wheel looks well.
I have the spokes which are unmarked, worth using ?
Anyone recommend a wheel builder near Stoke on Trent ?
Regards
           Tim

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: C15 Hub
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2017, 08:52:27 »
Be very very careful about using a wider rim. You need to check that there will be enough space for the wider tyre to fit your swinging arm without rubbing. There is not a lot of space.

I always go for a good quality English made stainless rim having been very disappointed with the plating on some of the chrome ones.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: C15 Hub
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:16:11 »
Hi,
      I've used valanced alloy or when looking for an original look, stainless, both with success. The stainless, I have further polished with mops before building to get the best finish possible.

I am in the middle of a restoration using a wider rear rim (see image). As Julian said, plus check the chain travel and chain guard. I had to move the guard about 1/4" as it was fouling the tyre. I feel the bigger rim and tyre does look good, when I have it running I'll let you know how it handles.

I use new stainless spokes and nipples. Whenever I've taken out the old they were chromed with corrosion around the threads.

I build my own wheels, it's easier than you think although Central Wheel Components built the rear wheel of the bike in the image. They have supplied parts for me in the past and I have never had a complaint.

Best wishes...
« Last Edit: 31 March, 2017, 10:44:58 by Bess »