Author Topic: Reasons to be cheerful  (Read 104 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Reasons to be cheerful
« on: 11 February, 2019, 17:13:41 »
Hello everyone.  A few weeks ago, several things went wrong with my 1965 B40F, all at once: it didn't start; the headlight didn't work; the throttle twistgrip wouldn't snap back despite being very free-turning; and an oil leak had appeared. 

Thanks to advice from this forum, these things now appear to be sorted. What I've done is: charged the battery; replaced the headlight bulb; fitted a new ammeter; got a new throttle cable made up (and while at it a new choke cable, oh and a new heat spacer for the carb); worked out where the oil was coming from (wet-sumping leading to oil in the outer timing case which was then  leaking out via the gear lever, I think) and fitted a tap to the oil feed pipe (and a string and flag hanging off the bike so I don't forget to turn the tap on when the bikes been standing a while.) 

This afternoon she fired into life. Satisfying.

Thanks very much for all the help I get on this forum. The oft-used expression "I couldn't have done it without you" is most certainly true in this case!

And to make things even better, I have just taken the dog for a walk and I almost thought I could sense spring in the air!     Phil.

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons to be cheerful
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2019, 17:40:14 »
Hi Phil C glad you have it sorted (did you turn the tap off )

berniej

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2019, 18:33:37 »
Well done Phil! Glad you got it all sorted - still building my SS90 B40 and hoping to get it oil tight!

Spring is indeed in the air today and so I decided to take my newly built M21/sidecar out on the road for the first time to run it in and start to learn how to ride with a dog cart hanging off the side. Unfortunately the clutch wasn't up to hauling a sidecar + three bags of sand and I limped back to base after about 100 yards. Couldn't leave it there so dusted off the SQ4 for a run to the pub - but dog had to be left behind  :(

Hope you get out on the road soon!

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
Bantam D7
C15 project
B40 Sportsman project

Bees

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2019, 21:37:10 »
Good work. Part of the charm of owning outdated and obsolete machinery.

Nothing beats the grin factor of firing it up after solving a problem. Roll on Spring and enjoy it!