Author Topic: Forum Admin Response to Deletion of Posts  (Read 608 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Forum Admin Response to Deletion of Posts
« on: 10 February, 2019, 18:43:38 »
This Forum has been run on a self-managed basis, requiring little or no intervention from the Webmaster. The rules for posting have always been simple, offensive language will not be tolerated and posts deemed to be not in the spirit of the Forum would be deleted. The method of monitoring posts has been left to the Forum Moderators, and no record of the Post content or the Poster has been kept where a post has been deleted.

However, in light of Forum members being unhappy about the deletion of their posts, I have with immediate effect put the following process in place for the Moderators:

1.   They will continue to edit posts where offensive language has been used.
2.   Where they feel the post is not in the spirit of the Forum and should be deleted, they will refer this action to me. If the post is deleted, details will be kept of its content and poster.
3.   Should there be a grievance in respect of a post being deleted, then in the first instance please contact  webmaster@bsaownersclub.co.uk  I would ask you please not to use the Forum to air your grievance.

Apologies to those members who feel they have had their posts wrongly deleted. I hope by implementing the above procedure any further issues can be readily rectified. I also hope that these members will continue to contribute to the Forum.

Forum Administrator

DAVE BRADY

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Admin Response to Deletion of Posts
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2019, 21:25:43 »
This seems a reasonable way to go. I would suggest that the poster might like to be informed of the deletion and the reason why.  This would more than likely put an end to the matter rather than give any reason to feel aggrieved through not knowing.
Thanks to all the Club volunteers for their hard work and diligence.

Dave Brady

TTJOHN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2019, 11:16:51 »
I always thought that a forum is like a pub where you can discuss anything without offence, the idea that one must not upset the administrator just because it may offend is wrong, I totally agree that language should be restrained as there is too much of that on FB but  a genuine topic,whether they feel it's right or wrong but for the interest of the club, a members view or opinion should be respected and allowed.

Nuff said, TTJohn

Editor

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2019, 11:32:42 »
The big problem with the written vs the verbal is you cannot see the emotion behind the words. For example you are in the bar and you say something like 'I think the BSA Beagle was the best lightweight ever built' will mean two completely different things if said with a determined look or said with a sarcastic smile.
On a forum, some will see it as a sarcasm, others will take the posters comment that he really believes it.
Also, by not seeing the reaction on the other guys face you will never know if he has taken you seriously, seen the funny side or has taken offence.
So, forums won't ever replace face to face conversations so we should all retire to the pub and carry on from there!  :) :) :) :)
Chris

TTJOHN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2019, 11:47:13 »
Chris.
Your on, your round I believe. :) ;)

John

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2019, 16:29:24 »
 :)

I have followed this very carefully and whilst not dreaming of passing judgement wonder if we maybe got a bit uptight on this one. With due respect may I point out that mistakes happen and of course they appear from all sides of any argument(discussion). Some of them far worse. Surgeons remove wrong legs. Airline pilots crash. Last week I put the wrong fuel in my car(prick). These are as inexcusable as they are inexplicable and unfortunately appear inevitable. And often, whilst they need to be ironed out, the least said the better, but ultimately don't be afraid to apologise and please accept an apology with good grace. If none is forthcoming--shrug!!

We are human, we make mistakes, we try to ruefully explain the cause.
So my way of dealing with: --Is it a hanging offence=No. Can I get pregnant==No. Will someone start shooting at me==No. Will my wife stop my beer tickets==No

Walk away. It cant be unsaid no matter what regrets you may harbour. It may well be far greater regret to let it boil. Least said soonest mended :)

Mike 8) 8) 8)

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2019, 16:54:46 »
Mike have a look at my Locked but not Forgotten post today where in frustration I have set out the posts that got deleted. What have I got to retract?
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2019, 19:23:50 »
 :)

My previous was not intended to be in any way personal or judgemental it was merely my thoughts and probable action in the event of et cetra
I wonder if the "moderator" system is simply programmed to react and redact to/of certain words and phrases.
However from me I think I have maybe outstayed my welcome on this subject and don't wish to risk of being moderated.(even sounds painful)

Take care all and ride safely

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Editor

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2019, 17:43:52 »
Dean,
I am writing this as an ordinary member and not a representative of the committee.
I have seen your posts that have been deleted and I'm struggling to work out who you were expecting a reply from. The first post was a question about when 'someone' (who?) would be putting something on the forum regarding the International Rally. The second post was, I think, asking for a response? Again, I'm struggling to understand who you were expecting this from.
As we are all aware, information and booking etc. for the International Rallies, wherever they may be, are co-ordinated by the International Secretary, Andy Lorenz.
I'm afraid, I can't help feeling if you had addressed your very valid question direct to Andy via email (address is in The Star) all this could have been avoided.
Regarding the deletion of posts, this has now been recognised by the forum admin and things have been put in place to avoid this happening again. So, time to move on I think and I for one hope you will reconsider your decision to cease and look forward to seeing your continued contributions on here in the future.
All the best
Chris

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2019, 18:08:16 »
So, why not post that in reply to my posts rather than just deleting them without comment?

I did not know who was organising the International but assumed they ( I was assuming more than one person was involved) would visit this forum. We really shouldn't assume that everyone knows who does what, it can come across as cliquey!

BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

BEEZABRYAN

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February, 2019, 19:38:21 »
Hi Dean, I've found BSA International Rally 2019 group on Faceache that may be of interest to you
Regards
Bryan

griffo

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:57:20 »
  I think sometimes moderaters should say why they have either locked or deleted a post as other parties could be interested. We are all motorcycle riders and expect some banter. Alas now-a-days there too many snowflakes that want a totally positve and pat on the back society. Imagine the reaction of kids to-day if they were treated as we were when we were aprentices ? They'd be running home to mummy for a loving hug and wanting compensation for hurt feelings. 
      There is nobody worse than me for extracting the urine but I also expect it back either verbally or as part of an internet discussion. Lets not go too far down the snowflake road . Yes keep the language down as ladies may be reading. We are not that modern...   Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

Calvin

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2019, 12:01:01 »
Deleting for bad language is more than acceptable but removing posts because someone does not agree with your opinion is very wrong.