Author Topic: C15 Gearbox  (Read 185 times)

rimmer

• Star
    • View Profile
C15 Gearbox
« on: 07 February, 2019, 21:30:53 »
I recently bought a C15ss 1964 distributer model.
The gearbox sprocket is worn so I removed the clutch. when I found that there is about 1mm of play in and out for the complete clutch.
the play is in the shaft that passes through the centre of the sprocket, there is also play in the shaft that the sprocket is fastened to, I can see the bearing moving.
is this normal....? Also the brass sleeve/bush on the sprocket centre shaft which the oil seal runs on is grooved, should it be smooth.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
kev

Rupert

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: C15 Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2019, 14:53:40 »
Hi, to cure these three faults a gearbox strip is required.
Sounds like the sleeve gear bearing (6206) needs replacing (once the gearbox is out a blowtorch applied to the casing around the bearing will warm it sufficiently to allow the new bearing to come out and a new one to go in). If the old bearing falls out cold loctite the new one in.
And the sleeve gear bush requires replacing (with 2 part steel/bronze bushes instead of the original single bronze bush) and reaming to suit the mainshaft.
And the mainshaft thrust washer requires replacing with a thicker one to eliminate the mainshaft endfloat. If there is a groove worn on the outer face of the mainshaft 1st gear fitting it on the shaft the other way round to present an unworn face to the mainshaft bush will reduce the required thickness of the thrust washer slightly.
Be prepared to find other things to be done inside the gearbox...
All good fun.
Rupert.

rimmer

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2019, 20:47:02 »
Thanks for the reply.
I have opened the gearbox, not something I wanted, but was not difficult to do.
I have ordered some thicker thrust washers and the 2 part bush, everything else seems ok.
kev

Rupert

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2019, 22:19:02 »
Maybe a good idea to change the camplate spring and gearchange spring while you're in there, and check the layshaft and mainshaft bushes for wear.