Author Topic: C15 distributor drive shaft installation  (Read 152 times)

Davea

• Star
    • View Profile
C15 distributor drive shaft installation
« on: 02 February, 2019, 15:00:14 »
I am about to install the distributor drive shaft into my C15 engine and the manual states ' in order to ensure correct positioning of the distributor, pick up the drive and holding it with the slot in line with the crankshaft, mesh the teeth with those on the main shaft worm wheel'. The only problem is it does not tell you what position the main shaft should be in, I am assuming it should be positioned at TDC, is that correct.
Grateful for any help. Thanks.

ducati2242

• Royal Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
Re: C15 distributor drive shaft installation
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2019, 10:46:46 »
I havent done one but I would set the engine to the required firing position ie 1/2" before tdc on the compression stroke , or whatever the correct position is . Then I would fit the distributor with the points just about to open you should then be able to time it properly with the rotation of the distributor . Could well be totally wrong but thats how I would do it .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1967 bsa B44
1955 matchless G9
1951 Ariel square four
2006 ducati 999R .

Davea

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2019, 15:35:34 »
Thank you for your reply. The problem I have is the drive shaft has to be installed first before the distributor can be installed and the position set so the points are about to open at 1/2" before TDC. I assume the main shaft must be in a certain position so you don't end up with the cable fixing around the rear of the distributor. It is possible that with the slot in the distributor drive shaft being symmetrical the distributor can be installed in two positions and this will overcome my concerns.

Rupert

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2019, 15:09:32 »
Hi, it doesn't matter where the distributor drive meshes with the worm on the crank. It doesn't effect the timing set up at all.
The only thing it alters is the final position of the distributor body. Once the shaft and worm mesh is set you have two possible options with this to allow you to position it with the l/t terminal on the distributor in a convenient position.
If you want to get this exactly where you want it you will have to try different mesh positions of the shaft and worm with the distributor temporally fitted.
Regards, Rupert.

berniej

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2019, 15:49:41 »
Just doing the same on my B40 and decided I wanted the terminal nut on the distributor at the rear and slightly inboard for convenience and appearance.

That seemed to work if the driving slot/tab  was aligned roughly front-to-back after rotating into position.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
Bantam D7
C15 project
B40 Sportsman project