Author Topic: Centre stand help  (Read 3806 times)

sidewaysid

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Centre stand help
« on: 24 January, 2019, 08:05:21 »
Hi Guys
I have come to the point in my BSA B31 Rigid frame model, where I think I should introduce a centre stand, however I can't seem to find one, my model is the one which has the narrowed down gearbox plates 2" between them, the stand fits into this 2" space, Draganfly have non, all those on ebay are swing arm or C11, C12. can anyone supply details, or a picture to help me if i spot something.
Thanks

Mark B

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Centre stand help
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2019, 13:04:33 »
When you find a centrestand, I hope you've got gym membership to build up your muscles so that you can haul the bike up onto it! I fitted a lifting handle from Hitchcocks where the mudguard stays fit to the lower frame, and I can just manage it now.

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2019, 19:41:35 »
I have a rear rack on my '48 B33 rigid which helps with heaving it onto the main stand. Still not easy!

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2019, 06:13:09 »

I'm afraid this is the only picture I could find that shows anything of my mainstand. B33 1948 with the narrow plates for 46-48 gearbox.

Mark B

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2019, 11:31:52 »
Pete C, do you happen to have a photo of how your luggage rack fits to the rear mudguard? I've got one but the lugs don't match up with the mudguard bolts. I can make a couple of brackets to fit, but I'm interested to see how it should be done! Thanks, Mark. 

Keith L

• Blue Star
  • 1946 BSA B31, 1963 LE Velocette, Yamaha N Max 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2019, 09:41:41 »
According to my 1946 Parts Catalogue, the centre stand 29-4860 fits the C10-C11 Girder Fork Models and the C10-C11 Telescopic Fork Models of that Year. Keith L

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2019, 11:17:47 »
Hi Mark

are these pics any use?
 I got the rack along with the bikeand have no idea if it is original, replica, one-of or whatever. Just that it fits without me having had to drill any holes.
Then again, the holes that were there may have been added at anytime in the last 70 years.  ;D
Good luck!

Mark B

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:24:36 »
Thanks Pete - very helpful. Regards, Mark. 

RichardAB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2019, 05:07:13 »
When you find a centrestand, I hope you've got gym membership to build up your muscles so that you can haul the bike up onto it! I fitted a lifting handle from Hitchcocks where the mudguard stays fit to the lower frame, and I can just manage it now.

Agree with you my 1960 B33 is hard to get onto centre stand even with handle. I try and get as close as possible to bike before lifting. Maybe I should get a paddock stand for home use?

Richard Mills

• Blue Star
  • B33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2019, 14:18:52 »
RichardAB
I have a 1958 B33 and found it back-breaking to get it on its centre stand. I fitted a lifting handle, and also a later type of centre stand with a sticky-out bit that you put your weight on and it acts as a lever; it is now very easy to get on the stand.
Only thing is that the stands with the sticky-out bit for singles are not available and so had to use a twins type which comes out a bit more for the LHS silencer, but not too bad, and well worth fitting in my opinion.

RichardAB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2019, 23:44:18 »
RichardAB
I have a 1958 B33 and found it back-breaking to get it on its centre stand. I fitted a lifting handle, and also a later type of centre stand with a sticky-out bit that you put your weight on and it acts as a lever; it is now very easy to get on the stand.
Only thing is that the stands with the sticky-out bit for singles are not available and so had to use a twins type which comes out a bit more for the LHS silencer, but not too bad, and well worth fitting in my opinion.
That’s a great idea Richard do you have part number for that twins type stand please? Thank you

Richard Mills

• Blue Star
  • B33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 May, 2019, 17:42:21 »
Part number 42-4761. Look on Draganfly's site for a picture (they show out of stock, but there are several other suppliers). Needs a rubber for the extension, and you may or may not need other parts such as spacer tube etc. - see Draganfly's diagram. At some point in time the return spring frame attachment changed sides and I had to have a hook made and tapped into the boss on the other side of the stand. Nothing is simple, is it?!
Anyway, stand is heavier than standard, and springs do not seem to hold stands up very firmly without clanking when going over bumps.
I therefore removed the return spring and fitted a spring which winds around the pivot pin/tube. This is an AJS/Matchless part number 014627, and just required a minor bend and hacksaw cut and it works perfectly (although a little blood letting might also be involved).
I suspect that I may have given you too much information and put you off changing the stand at all, but it really was well worth the effort!

RichardAB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 May, 2019, 23:40:06 »
Part number 42-4761. Look on Draganfly's site for a picture (they show out of stock, but there are several other suppliers). Needs a rubber for the extension, and you may or may not need other parts such as spacer tube etc. - see Draganfly's diagram. At some point in time the return spring frame attachment changed sides and I had to have a hook made and tapped into the boss on the other side of the stand. Nothing is simple, is it?!
Anyway, stand is heavier than standard, and springs do not seem to hold stands up very firmly without clanking when going over bumps.
I therefore removed the return spring and fitted a spring which winds around the pivot pin/tube. This is an AJS/Matchless part number 014627, and just required a minor bend and hacksaw cut and it works perfectly (although a little blood letting might also be involved).
I suspect that I may have given you too much information and put you off changing the stand at all, but it really was well worth the effort!
Thank you Richard I will start to investigate upon return from holiday. Off to my first ever TT tomorrow

Group Leader

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2019, 17:26:12 »
Generally there appears to be a be a "knack" to such operations .....   

When I returned to motorcycling after a 40+ year interval with an AJS heavyweight single I found it almost impossible to get it on to the centre stand using the technique I'd used previously of; left hand on handlbar, right hand under seat right foot holding the stand to the floor.  My difficulties were not helped by the fact that, if I build myself up I can attain a maximum height of, say, 5' 2".  On one particular occasion it could of ended in disaster as the left twist grip came off in my hand after a particularly vigourous tug.   Fortunately I was able to stop the bike falling over - just! 

I found on the Jampot forum a reference adopted by the work's riders for this task which is;  Left hand under front of the seat, right hand on the rear mudguard handle (I suppose they put it there for a reason!) and LEFT foot holding the stand down.   In this way it's more of a lifting  rather than dragging backwards motion and, I have to say, it works a treat even for "Old Shorty". 

Perhaps an adaption of this technique to suit the grip postions and handles of the particular machine would assist?

HTH.

Alan

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 June, 2019, 20:45:11 »
My B31 centre stand is safely wrapped and stored, I use a side stand. I have never seen the attraction of struggling hauling a bike onto a centre stand that serves no useful purpose