Author Topic: WTD : someone to fix bike  (Read 1889 times)

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
WTD : someone to fix bike
« on: 24 March, 2019, 18:01:26 »
Hi all,

the time spent vs enjoyment obtained has tipped far too much into time, so at this moment, im after a mechanic who can fettle my pre unit clutch.

Very long story. but over the bikes years its been stood dry, now if come to re commission it the clutch wont operate, iv had it to bits more times over past few days yjam i care to think, iv gone through the whole list of what it needs to do to work, and some it doesnt need. and im now at a loss.

So does anyone know someone who can do the job of getting the bike to move please

Mark

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: WTD : someone to fix bike
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2019, 19:28:40 »
Where are you located?
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2019, 09:21:10 »
Elevensies.
Have you checked the length of the push rod? Not quite sure what bike you have but I had one problem with the clutch and when I looked into it the push rod at the end had mushroomed over, so no matter how much I adjusted it, it would not disengage, length is also crucial, check what that should be for your bike. HTH

Regards TTJohn

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2019, 16:44:12 »
Are you in Essex, I have some spare time, Jaffa Cakes required . ;D

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2019, 19:58:48 »
thanks all, im in North Lincolnshire, so a good distance from essex.

im considering the pushrod length after measuring mine at 9 3/4, which isnt listed as a size, so possibly thats why my actuator arm isnt pushing the clutch off far enough to engage.

im still thinking i may need a expert eye over this though

mark

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:54:07 »
Mark,

Can you remind us (or me anyway!) what the gearbox model, year  and clutch type is please?

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March, 2019, 10:02:54 »
3 speed, 3 spring pre unit 1953

hope that helps

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March, 2019, 11:06:36 »
Hi,

Did the clutch work with the same rod before?
A clutch should be pretty much the same in most bikes.
Does the lever pulled back by the springs at all, or does it offer no resistance at all?
Rod too short or all adjusters need to be adjusted to take up slack in the cable.
Lever gets returned by the springs but lever has lots of play then alter the adjusters.
If the lever action feels ok but the plates will not separate then look for burrs on the plates and ridges in the clutch basket and hub.
Are the springs too soft?

Dave.

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2019, 13:38:28 »
bought the bike as a dry bike so no fluids, but was assured it worked (haha not a hope there was so much wrong it would never have run) so dont exactly know if clutch operated, but doubtful as the plates were stuck solid.

the pushrod is an odd length, but iv ordered a new one, the cable is new i fitted, and tried to adjust in every direction, from fullly in then out half way and so on,  the lever will pull back and move the basket about 1/8"
iv fitted new spring cups,
fitted the cable at 90 degree to actuator arm, have small play left at lever

my thoughts are,
pushrod too short
something not right behind the basket (iv not removed at all)
something else i dont know about and cant see, this is really why i asked for help with someone looking at it, whos seen and done one before, sometimes as simple as things are, unless you can directly see by association, i could be going round in circles buying who knows what for no reason

mark

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March, 2019, 14:29:16 »
Mark,

What model of bike is it & year?

TTJohn

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March, 2019, 15:57:13 »
Hi,

1/8th of an inch may be all you will get.  Some clutches have very little lift and if the plates are slightly distorted then that amount will be quite easily taken up. It is usually the plain plates that distort as they are rarely replaced. Check all the plates with a straight edge as even the friction plates can go out of shape.  Replacement is the only option.  I have had clutches not working properly due to wear on the basket and centre.  If there are grooves, it could be that the plates are sitting in them and not lifting properly.  These are difficult to remove but can sometimes be eased to help the plates move. If something looks knackered then it usually is so replacement may be necessary.
Is the cable good quality as a lot of movement at the handlebars can be lost if the outer compresses and the inner stretches when operated?

Dave.

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2019, 08:47:19 »
hi Dave, new cable and no movement, as i said theres some slack at the lever as there should be, and the cable at the lever arm isnt pulling on the arm

im going to have to strip it and take pics along the way for help

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2019, 10:32:23 »
Presume with a 3 spring clutch you have an alternator C11G?

Is there any lateral movement in the mainshaft? If so then operating the clutch lever may move the shaft and clutch a fraction before the clutch starts to lift.

elevensies

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 March, 2019, 13:51:36 »
Presume with a 3 spring clutch you have an alternator C11G?

Is there any lateral movement in the mainshaft? If so then operating the clutch lever may move the shaft and clutch a fraction before the clutch starts to lift.

yes i do :)

now iv just started to undoo the 3 spring cup washers again. and noticed that the whole basket assembly moves / rocks about probably 16th inch, which could very well be the movement in the mainshaft you mention, unless its supposed to move, with the spring cups tight no movement noticed ???