Author Topic: D14 Electrex ignition and lighting  (Read 67 times)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
D14 Electrex ignition and lighting
« on: 05 January, 2019, 10:00:15 »
Going to fit Electrex on my D13, would anyone using Electrex on a D10/D13/D14 share their experiences please - 6 or 12 volts for lighting, battery or capacitor, which battery and bulbs?

Thanks.

Jon Cull

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: D14 Electrex ignition and lighting
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2019, 19:52:16 »
I fitted an Electrex World system on my sons D14 Bantam last year. From the start I had problems in getting it to run properly,this led to some fairly deep diagnosis with an oscilliscope and strobe lamp etc. This proved that the timing marks on the Electrex stator were in the wrong place. I only mention this because I had terrible trouble in getting the Boss of Electrex to admit that anything could possibly be wrong with one of their products.
I did get them to sort it out eventually and it came back with the red timing dot about 5/8" further anticlockwise around the stator,the engine now runs properly.
The other point I'd make is that the lighting is very poor if you run the headlamp off the alternator direct.At low revs the light is a dull glow. Because my son and I are busy preparing Ex-WD Matchless G3l's to go to Normandy in June we have not looked any further into running the lights off the battery.(Or indeed if there were any alternative wiring layouts with the kit - I can't remember) As soon as we get back to sorting out the Bantam this will be at the top of the list of jobs,along with gearing it up...
Lastly I would add that I've been very happy with other Electrex World products, my C15 trials bike runs on it and is absolutely superb. I've also run it on an Ariel HT5 that I used to have, so I would happily use it again.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: D14 Electrex ignition and lighting
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2019, 18:03:27 »
Thanks Jon. Very useful information.