Author Topic: Rigid B31 Rear Wheel Spindle  (Read 182 times)

Mark B

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Rigid B31 Rear Wheel Spindle
« on: 04 January, 2019, 10:57:05 »
I've bought a new rear wheel spindle and nuts from Draganfly, and the round internal shoulders of the nuts don't fit into the slots in the frame which the spindle goes through (if I've explained that correctly!). The diameter of the round bit of the nuts is 0.66 inches, and the slots in the frame are 0.60 inches wide.

So, either the newly-made nuts are too large, or the slots in the frame are smaller than they should be.  Can anyone offer any clues? Thanks for any replies.

Mark.  And a happy new year to everyone. 

AdrianS

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Rigid B31 Rear Wheel Spindle
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2019, 16:07:22 »
Have you got the old bits to compare to? Not unknown for new bits to be wrong!

Mark B

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2019, 16:40:02 »
If only I had, Adrian! The existing spindle is non-standard, as are the bearings, and there's a dreadful bodge of spacers to get the whole lot to fit the frame. Hence the new spindle.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2019, 16:43:14 »
What year is your bike?

The 1946/47 models used a different nut and different rear frame than the later rigids. These parts dont show up in the 1949-53 parts book.

sidewaysid

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2019, 19:11:32 »

Is the set up like mine shown here

Garyk

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2019, 20:51:06 »
If it is a 1946/47, the attached may help - it is a screenshot from YouTube of some chap's restoration project 1947 model (apologies if any copyright issues!!). It certainly helped me, as mine was a basket case and it took a bit of sorting to get it right. As you suggest, the nut shoulder should fit into the slot on the frame - this is all that is outside the frame. Inside the frame is a snail adjuster that locates on a small lug inside the frame. Only thing to note is the tapered bearing obviously sits inside its cup, located in the hub.

I've just measured the slot in my frame with a digital Vernier caliper - came out at 0.62 inches, similar to yours. I tried it with the calipers at 0.66 inches, wouldn't fit anywhere near. Hence, I think you're right, the new nuts are too large. If Draganfly can't come up with a solution, I've found Simon at Barleycorn Engineering is very helpful and everything I've got from him has fitted perfectly - although I don't know if this nut is an item he stocks.

Hope the above makes sense and is of some help!

sidewaysid

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2019, 08:27:16 »
The nuts and thick washers for my build were amazingly found on ebay, I think it may have been listed under BSA C11 or C12, they are stainless, and didn't cost much if I remember.

Mark B

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2019, 14:31:10 »
Thanks for the replies. The bike was first registered in 1955, so it must have been an outdated rigid sitting in a dealership while everyone bought the new-fangled plunger and swinging arm models.  Sideways Sid: the spindle and fittings look exactly the same as yours.  I also found that the new bearings wouldn't fit the spindle so the whole lot's back with Draganfly for further investigation.  Mark.