Author Topic: Oil from kickstart  (Read 222 times)

Hancock

• Star
    • View Profile
Oil from kickstart
« on: 28 December, 2018, 11:05:02 »
Morning all, after taking the bike out for the first time ,thereís a lot of oil coming from the kickstart.is ther a seal or should the oil not get there.1962 b40.
Thanks

Rupert

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Oil from kickstart
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2018, 11:50:06 »
Hi, there should be a small amount of oil inside the outer cover but it should not build up to the level where it can leak at the kickstart. No oil seal at the kickstart as no need for one if everything else is ok.
Remove the outer cover, look for and check that the tiny drain hole through the inner cover isn't blocked. It is located just above the lower jointface at 5o'clock below the gearchange shaft.
If it is blocked oil collecting there can't drain back into the engine then builds up and leaks at the kickstart. Common problem.
R.

Hancock

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2019, 15:25:47 »
Thank you Iíll check the drain hole

petergj

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2019, 15:29:07 »
I have read with interest the comments about oil inside the outer cover on B50 engines and here is a variation on that theme.

I pulled the outer cover off my 1971 B50 MX engine to replace a tired kickstart spring. About half an egg cup full (max) of oil drained out and I checked for the drain hole people have been talking about to find it plugged with a screw - see picture. Is this a sign of some serious issue (high blowby though this drain hole) or good news in that not much oil is getting into the outer cover?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2019, 15:54:26 »
I would take a guess that the last owner did not know it was a drain hole and thought it was an oil free zone.