Author Topic: new BSA b25 fleetstar owner  (Read 808 times)

JOHN KAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: new BSA b25 fleetstar owner
« Reply #15 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:58:18 »
 HI MICK

MY ONLY CONCERN IS BECAUSE THE BIKE HAS BEEN IDLE FOR SO LONG THE CRANKCASE MIGHT BE TOTALLY FULL
  OF OIL DEPENDING ON PISTON POSITION AND IT MIGHT NOT HAVE ANYWHERE TO GO  IN THEORY EXCEPT MAYBE
  BLOWN OUT THE SEALS > I WOULD BE A BIT WARY > IN SAYING THAT THOUGH MY OWN B25 WET SUMPS CONSTANTLY
  AND I GENERALLY RUN IT REGULARLY  TO EMPTY THE SUMP EXCEPT OVER THE WINTER WHEN I DRAIN IT > HOPE
 I DONT UPSET YOU TOO MUCH BY HAVING A DIFFERENT OPINION REGARDS JOHNBOY .

JOHN KAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December, 2018, 12:39:02 »
 HI KEVIN

THANKS FOR REPLYING IT WOULD BE GOOD TO LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON
  A GOOD IDEA POSSIBLY FOR THE FUTURE REGARDING WET SUMPING IF IT HAPPENS OFTEN
  IS TO FIT AN ALLOY SUMP PLATE WITH MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG AND FILTER KIT > I HAVE
 FITTED AN SRM ONE TO MY B25 , IT MAKES DRAINING THE SUMP SO MUCH EASIER >THE
 ONLY PROBLEM I FOUND WAS THAT THE SRM VERSION IS QUITE THICK METAL AND I FOUND
 THE STUDS WERE NOT LONG ENOUGH TO ACCOMODATE IT SECURELY SO I WOULD NOW GO
 FOR ONE MADE SLIGHTLY THINNER AND CHEAPER TOO > YOURE OIL IN YOUR SUMP IS VERY
 OLD AND PROBABLY CONTAMINATED BY NOW SO ANOTHER GOOD REASON FOR DRAINING IT .

AdrianS

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December, 2018, 16:23:15 »
If the sump is full of oil - drain it first! Don't try to start the engine. There is a potential for doing a lot of damage as said previously.
I would pull the plug also and kick the engine over a few times with the sump plate off.

joebe

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January, 2019, 18:08:12 »
Hi and thanks all  for your help i have had the engine running and to be fair  it sounds good and responds well to the throttle kicking the engine over was terrible  so after a bit of you tube  i self diagnosed  a new set of clutch  plates  and i think its done the trick,but  whilst  cleaning the primary cover discovered a crack in it where it looks like the bikes been down and the footrest has pushed into and case cracked it  so now am looking  for advice whether to repair or renew the cover and where to  do it so if any of you are in the know i am in need of help again    :D

joebe

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 January, 2019, 12:43:54 »
Hi and thanks all  for your help i have had the engine running and to be fair  it sounds good and responds well to the throttle kicking the engine over was terrible  so after a bit of you tube  i self diagnosed  a new set of clutch  plates  and i think its done the trick,but  whilst  cleaning the primary cover discovered a crack in it where it looks like the bikes been down and the footrest has pushed into and case cracked it  so now am looking  for advice whether to repair or renew the cover and where to  do it so if any of you are in the know i am in need of help again    :D

JOHN KAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 January, 2019, 17:42:48 »
HI KEVIN

GOOD TO SEE YOU GOT THE BIKE GOING > I USUALLY GET  USED PARTS OFF
  E BAY WHICH MAY SUIT YOU RATHER THAN A WELDING REPAIR WHICH MAY BE EXPENSIVE
 HOWEVER SOME OTHER MEMBERS MAY BE ABLE TO HELP REGARDS JOHNBOY

Mark

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 January, 2019, 20:30:11 »
Hi joebe,

I might be able to help you out here with the welding & any other member whom might need the any welding I have been in welding & fabrication since serving my apprenticeship & am now a welding inspector.

After discovering cracks & wear in both of the covers on my c15 I bought an AC TIG welder this year I also have MIG & stick welding equipment I also have a lathe & I hate seeing people ripped off for small weld repairs etc.

Attached are photos of the repaired areas before & after welding & dressing not perfect & needs more dressing & polishing.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance & it will not cost more than a couple of beers.

Please can you also post photos of the areas requiring repair if interested?

I am based in Derbyshire & obviously postage would be at your cost.

Regards Mark