Author Topic: new BSA b25 fleetstar owner  (Read 659 times)

joebe

• Star
    • View Profile
new BSA b25 fleetstar owner
« on: 26 December, 2018, 13:56:08 »
as a owner of a recently acquired  BSA b25 fleetstar  i would like some guidance from some technical experts / experienced engineers of BSA singles  to guide /help me if possible  many thanks Kevin

joebe

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: new BSA b25 fleetstar owner
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2018, 15:28:01 »
as a owner of a recently acquired  BSA b25 fleetstar  i would like some guidance from some technical experts / experienced engineers of BSA singles  to guide /verbally help me if possible  many thanks Kevin

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2018, 15:39:43 »
The best start would be to get the Rupert Ratio unit singles manual.

Excellent books packed with information and easy to read.

http://www.ratiopublishing.co.uk/

joebe

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2018, 18:24:59 »
thanks for that and i will consider getting that book ,but initially i was looking to chat to someone who i could ask for directions on  the more obscure question you wouldn't find  in that book like how to recommission my B25 witch was rebuilt twenty years ago ridden very little, then put in dry storage for a further ten years then i bought the bike  not  seized  and  it seems every thing is in good order  .needs a battery and new fuel and from what i have read it is wet sumping 

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2018, 12:49:50 »
HI KEVIN   FIRST THING I WOULD DO IS DRAIN AND FLUSH OUT THE FUEL TANK <REFILL WITH FRESH PETROL AND CHECK
FOR LEAKS >YOU CAN TRY THE CARBURRETTOR FIRST IT MAY NEED CLEANING AND CHECKING LATER>NEXT I WOULD DRAIN
THE OIL TANK BY REMOVING THE FILTER AT THE BOTTOM YOU MAY NEED TO IMPROVISE A CHUTE OF CARDBOARD OR FUNNEL
THEN REMOVE 4 NUTS ON SUMP PLATE UNDERNEATH ENGINE AND TAKE OFF PLATE THIS WILL DRAIN OFF REMAINING OIL THAT HAS WET SUMPED AND PREVENT COMPLICATIONS ON START UP > PUT PLATE BACK ON AND TIGHTEN NUTS NOT TOO
TIGHT THEY STRIP EASILY> NEXT REMOVE A VALVE CAP ON CYLINDER HEAD AND POUR IN ABOUT HALF PINT FRESH OIL
THIS SHOULD HELP SCAVENGE PUMP>NEXT I WOULD REMOVE SPARKPLUG AND POUR ABOUT AN EGGCUPFULL DOWN THE
HOLE THEN TURN THE ENGINE OVER SLOWLY ON THE KICK START TO LUBRICATE THE CYLINDER BORE AND PISTON WIPE UP
SPILLAGE OUT SPARK PLUG HOLE NEXT REMOVE POINTS PLATE AND CLEAN CONTACT POINTS USING EMERY PAPER OR BOARD>AS BIKE RAN OK PREVIOUSLY IGNITION TIMING MAY BE OK FOR NOW TO ALLOW START UP WILL CONTINUE LATER

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2018, 13:17:10 »
HI KEVIN
CONTINUING FROM BEFORE  YOU NOW NEED TO CONNECT UP A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY REMEMBER IT WILL MOST
LIKELY BE POSITIVE TO EARTH TURN ON THE KEY AND CHECK FOR POWER TO LIGHTS ETC  NEXT I WOULD PUT SPARK PLUG
ON TO THE HIGH TENSION LEAD AND TOUCH METAL PART OF SPARK PLUG AGAINST ENGINE WHILE TURNING OVER ENGINE
ON KICKSTART TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A SPARK AT THE PLUG HOPEFULLY YOU WILL IF NOT GIVE ME A SHOUT I WILL TALK YOU
THROUGH IT  REMEMBER TO SWITCH IGNITION KEY ON FIRST . YOU BASICALLY NEED THREE THINGS TO START AN ENGINE
A GOOD SUPPLY OF FRESH FUEL AND AIR MIXTURE FROM THE CARBURRETTOR > A HEALTHY TIMED SPARK FROM THE
SPARKPLUG AND A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF ENGINE COMPRESSION > CHECK FOR COMPRESSION BY TURNING ENGINE
OVER WITH SPARKPLUG IN IT SHOULD FEEL HARDER TO KICK OVER AT ONE POINT.PUT FRESH OIL IN OILTANK BUT DO NOT
TOP IT RIGHT UP AS SOME WILL PUMP UP FROM SUMP  REFILL TO CORRECT LEVEL LATER > I WILL CONTINUE

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2018, 13:46:48 »
HI KEVIN

YOU ARE ALMOST READY FOR START UP>  TURN THE ENGINE OVER  ABOUT  A GOOD THIRTY TIMES WITH THE
  SPARK PLUG OUT AND THE FUEL SWITCHED ON THIS SHOULD HELP PRIME THE OIL PUMP AND FUEL UP CARBURRETTOR
 REMEMBER IGNITION OFF AT THIS POINT . NOW REPLACE SPARK PLUG  DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN  > FLOOD CARBURRETTOR
 USING TICKLER  SWITCH ON IGNITION AND TRY STARTING THE BIKE UP . IF THE CARBURRETTOR DOES NOT FLOOD
USING THE TICKLER THEN YOU MAY NEED TO STRIP AND CLEAN THE CARBURRETTOR TO GET A FUEL MIXTURE .
 IF THE BIKE STARTS UP OK IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THE OILCAP ON THE OILTANK TO SEE IF OIL IS RETURNING  TO THE TANK
IN SPURTS VIA THE OILPUMP IF IT IS NOT STOP ENGINE IMMEDIATELY AND INVESTIGATE FURTHER >ALSO YOU MAY NOT
HAVE CONTACT POINTS BUT ELECTRONIC IGNITION THIS WILL BE PROBABLY SET OK PREVIOUSLY AND MAY NOT NEED
ATTENTION  I WILL CONTINUE

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 December, 2018, 14:03:12 »
HI KEVIN

SOME POINTS TO REMEMBER  AS YOU MAY DISTURB THE GASKETS ON THE SUMP PLATE  > YOU WILL PROBABLY
HAVE TO RENEW THEM TO PREVENT FURTHER OIL LEAKS YOU CAN BUY THEM SEPARATELY
SAME APPLIES TO CARB GASKET SETS
YOU WILL NEED A GOOD CHARGED BATTERY ESPECIALLY FOR ELECTRONIC IGNITION
ALSO IF YOU DO GET THE BIKE RUNNING REMEMBER TO CHECK THAT  IT IS CHARGING THE BATTERY USUALLY
BY GETTING A POSITIVE READING ON THE AMMETER IF IT HAS ONE . HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IF I HAVE LEFT SOMETHING
OUT I AM SURE SOMEONE WILL COMMENT > GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT >I ALSO HAVE A B25 PROJECT > YOU
SHOULD ALSO GET YOURSELF A WORKSHOP MANUAL AND POSSIBLY A PARTS BOOK REGARDS JOHNBOY .

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2018, 14:27:29 »
HI KEVIN

SORRY I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT YOU SHOULD ALSO CLEAN THE OIL FILTERS IN THE TANK AND SUMP AT THE SAME
TIME  AND CHECK THE OIL TANK FOR SLUDGE IT MAY NEED FLUSHING OUT I SOMETIMES USE PARAFFIN  PETROL OR DIESEL
REMEMBER TO CLEAN UP REMNANTS OF IT > REGARDS JOHNBOY

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 December, 2018, 15:15:31 »
 HI KEVIN

AFTER YOU HAVE GOT YOUR BIKE GOING  OR BEFOREHAND YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE OIL IN THE GEARBOX
USE AN EP90 TYPE THERE SHOULD DE A DIPSTICK FOR CHECKING LEVEL
ALSO CHANGE AND CHECK LEVEL OF OIL IN PRIMARY CHAINCASE IT DOES NOT NEED MUCH  ABOUT QUARTER
OF A PINT ENGINE OIL  SHOULD DO IT . THESE ENGINES ARE A BIT NOISY  SO YOU CAN EXPECT A BIT TAPPETY
BUT DEFINETLY NO LOUD KNOCKING NOISES WHICH COULD SPELL BIG END WEAR  A WEAK POINT ON THESE
ENGINES TRYING NOT TO FRIGHTEN YOU BUT YOU CAN EXPECT A BIT OF NOISE

IF YOU NEED MORE HELP E MAIL ME  john.kay50@yahoo.co.uk    REGARDS JOHNBOY

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 December, 2018, 16:32:13 »
Blimey John what wonderfully comprehensive reply. Just what this forum should be about. Just one point though.
THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT! ;)
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2018, 16:44:41 »
  HI KEVIN
 SOME FURTHER POINTS THAT HAVE COME TO MIND > YOU MAY BE LUCKY AND FIND YOU HAVE NO SLUDGE
IN YOUR OIL TANK  JUST DIRTY OIL IN WHICH CASE YOU MAY GET OFF WITH JUST DRAINING THE TANK WITH NO NEED
TO DISTURB HOSES AND FLUSH OUT WITH PARAFFIN ETC   YOU CAN ONLY DECIDE FOR YOURSELF BUT IF YOU DO DECIDE
TO REMOVE TANK AND FLUSH YOU WILL HAVE TO RE PRIME HOSES USING PRESSURE OIL CAN TO ENSURE OIL SYSTEM  IS
PRIMED AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BEFORE FILLING UP WITH OIL > ANOTHER PROBLEM THAT MAY OCCUR WHEN BIKES HAVE
BEEN LAID UP A LONG TIME IS THAT GREASES DRY UP AND YOU WILL FIND THAT THINGS LIKE STEERING BEARINGS AND
WHEEL BEARINGS WILL NEED STRIPPING CLEANING AND REGREASING BUT THAT IS PART OF THE FUN OF CLASSIC BIKE
OWNING AND MAINTENANCE REMEMBER TO OIL YOUR CONTROL CABLES ALSO KEEP IN TOUCH REGARDS JOHNBOY

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 December, 2018, 16:48:21 »
SORRY DEAN
I CAN ONLY REPLY IN BOLD CAPITALS AS MY CHANGE FONT SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING ON MY COMPUTER REGARDS JOHNBOY

joebe

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 December, 2018, 17:47:53 »
Hi John and thank you very much or time spent replying to my letter of mercy , i have booked a week off soon to attempt  to bring the old girl back to life ,and whilst i do attempt this task i will have my laptop at my side to reference  i do appreciate your help very much and will keep you updated and may ask you the odd question   from time to time if thats ok  with you  anyway thanks again and i dont give a hoot if you use caps or middle case  ,cheers john

MICKREEVES

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #14 on: 28 December, 2018, 10:58:27 »
My suggestion for wet sumping, is to start the engine and let it empty the sump.
With a bit of use, the ball valve is likely to free off and need no attention.
Mick