Author Topic: M21 sidecar fitting question  (Read 1140 times)

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
M21 sidecar fitting question
« on: 02 November, 2018, 09:25:22 »
I have a small Briggs sidecar (Watsonian offshoot I think) which I'm in the process of fitting to my M21 rigid.
I have a number of potentially useful sidecar fittings but the challenging bit is proving to be the rear, upper fitting.

This has a tapered socket on the frame and, in order to clear the battery box, first needs to come out horizontally for 200mm or so and then turn down vertically to meet the sidecar frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do this - or any parts that might help?

I've read A10 Bob's post on the subject and tried to contact him but no luck so far.

Thanks,
Bernie (Norfolk)
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: M21 sidecar fitting question
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2018, 20:14:22 »
You need three parts. the short taper fitting to go in the frame. A "j" shaped tube to connect to this and down to the chassis an a coupling to attach the j to the sidecar chassis.
There is  a photo of the arrangement if you scroll down this page...http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=559671
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: M21 sidecar fitting question
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2018, 16:37:53 »
Thanks Dean - I had actually seen that thread and then mentioned 'A10 Bob' in my post when it should have been 'lightningrob' !
Coincidentally I think he's quite near me in Norfolk so may be able to contact him and see how it all goes together.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project