Author Topic: Blazing sun  (Read 3066 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Blazing sun
« Reply #15 on: 21 February, 2019, 18:42:00 »
Thanks very much. I tried the black tape strip method this afternoon and liked it.  Phil.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 February, 2019, 19:20:53 »
Hi Dave I too can recommend the insulating tape sun shield
Dean I once tried something similar but with no great success ;)

Bryan, you did have the peak facing forward,?
 ;)
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

BEEZABRYAN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 February, 2019, 01:19:06 »
Should I have done?

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:49:56 »
  The idea of a baseball cap under your helmet is a definate no no as if you have the correct fitting helmet there is no way you could fit a baseball cap under it. Think safety lads... The tape idea on the visor works and is even better when you just open the front. You could always do as was the old idea of taping a peak to your full face helmet as long as the visor goes inside the lid. I use an HJC with the sliding sun visor , this works for me as my glasses are the reactorlight type.  But a baseball cap ? ? ?  Wear a properly fitting helmet......    Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

BEEZABRYAN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2019, 10:18:10 »
I see where I have been getting it all wrong, perhaps I should cut the peak from the baseball cap & glue it to me helmet with that Gorilla Glue stuff ;)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 February, 2019, 12:06:21 »
Good point about safety Griff.

To check your helmet fits correctly, and is done up properly get a pal to try and pull it off. Stand facing each other and your pal should grasp your helmet at the back , fingers under the rear of the helmet, and try and pull it off.

I've investigated a couple of 'helmet off' accidents and in both cases the helmets came off easily when tested thus. Helmets too big, and /or straps too loose.

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 February, 2019, 16:24:42 »
Why is it everyone, and I mean everyone! who gets on a motorcycle or scooter on the tele never ever does the strap up? Even that annoying geyser Matt Allwright on Rogue Traders.
All you see every time on camera is the bloke or the lady put it on and in the next shot they ride away!
Not a good example to the youngsters!

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 February, 2019, 18:59:57 »
But we are desperately short of organ donors ;)
(which I heard is the slang term  for motorcyclists in A&E) ;D

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 February, 2019, 08:02:33 »
Why is it everyone, and I mean everyone! who gets on a motorcycle or scooter on the tele never ever does the strap up? Even that annoying geyser Matt Allwright on Rogue Traders.
All you see every time on camera is the bloke or the lady put it on and in the next shot they ride away!
Not a good example to the youngsters!

I suppose the fiddling and faffing fastening a helmet is missed out to try and keep the programme less boring than it already is....   Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

MICKREEVES

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #24 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:13:43 »
when I rode bikes in my twenties, i dont remember having  much problem with sunlight.
Now i'm 80.  Perhaps old eyes are less able to deal with the situation?
What is the average age of this clubs members??
 Interesting.
Mick

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 March, 2019, 12:42:55 »
Good point Mick
as our eyes get older the light entering the eye is reduced slightly but also it is scattered more (due to imperfections in the eye structures and media) which not only reduces the clarity of images but also significantly increases disability glare. Additonally we seem to get more sensitve to discomfort glare. So we have reduced acuity, exacerbated by the glare from light scatter. Add to this the additional scatter from spectacle lenses especially so if they are scratched or dirty.

I know our eyes take londer to refocus as we age, but without checking I can't conform they take longer to re-adapt to light level changes, although I suspect so.

We can't do anything about our physiologocal changes, we just need to take these factors into account when we swing in the kickstart.

Don't get me started on the marketing scam that is modern headlamps. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 March, 2019, 14:16:08 »
Anyway blazing sun isn't much of an issue at the moment.