Author Topic: register bsa b26 on an existing plate  (Read 75 times)

nigel hunt

• Star
    • View Profile
register bsa b26 on an existing plate
« on: 15 September, 2018, 17:56:43 »
i have came to end of my restoration of my fathers 1938 350 ohv bsa b26 , heres the problem i have a registration number here it is the original steel number plate , the last 2 letters are  -PL --- and when i look them up it states presumed destroyed , i have no other documentation for this bike only the plate , i contacted a bsa owners club member a few years back when starting the restoration and he didnt seem to think it would be a problem as he had given me some other information on my machine number at that time , what do i do from here as i sent a form off to swansea and they sent it back stating that they have no record of the bike in there system but said the bsa owners club should be able to varify the number and get me sorted , any help would be very much appreciated ,

bikerbob

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: register bsa b26 on an existing plate
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2018, 18:25:43 »
You have to prove that the registration number that you have belongs to that bike the fact that it came with the bike will not be accepted by the DVLA. You have no documentary evidence such as an old log book so the only other possibility is that the local council where the bike was first registered may still have a copy of the original registration, now your bike was first registered with Surrey council which according to this BSA owners club website says presumed destroyed I would suggest contacting Surrey Council and find out if the records were all destroyed some councils destroyed all and some kept all records and some kept some records. To reclaim the original registration  your first step is find a documentary link between the bike and the number plate after that then you can contact the dating officer and  go to the next step which is confirming the dispatch records for the bike. You can if you want still obtain the dispatch record for your bike which will tell you when it left the factory who it was dispatched to and if the engine and frame were together when it left the factory you will still need this if eventually you are not successful in proving a link and have to get an age related number. Good Luck.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2018, 19:00:18 »
Suggest contact the Kithead Trust, 

http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/england-wales

Note what they say about Surrey records on the link - suggests Kithead hold some Surrey card records. The card records may link registration number to frame number which is the evidence you need.

Also see the BSAOC website which has details for retaining an old plate.

https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/rententionofregistration.html

Mike Farmer

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2018, 11:18:27 »
 :)

I have a 1963 A50. All the numbers are as despatched. It was sent to a company in Salisbury 18th Feb 1963. It was registered in Wiltshire and I know the registration. I have a copy of the relevant documentation from Wilts County Council with the date of registration and the reg number. BUT they did not put the frame number on the documentation at the time so DVLA will not accept it. Therefore historic. Wilts CC did not put frame or chassis No's on any of the vehicle reg. Just dished out a number. So end of that one unless someone here has a sneaky method.
I believe that it was subsequently taxed in Hampshire and I am investigating whether they have a record of taxation which may also hold the frame No. Not holding out much hope.

Mike

nigel hunt

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:45:00 »
contacted kitheadtrust so il let you know where that takes me