Author Topic: 1934 Blue Star 500 gearbox cover foot-change type  (Read 452 times)

David Samways

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
1934 Blue Star 500 gearbox cover foot-change type
« on: 04 September, 2018, 16:21:23 »
Sorry to be tedious and post here as well as in the wanted section.

For my Blue Star project I need a gearbox cover which will accept the foot-change mechanism I bought from Hans in Sweden - many thanks Hans. At the moment my machine has a hand-change gearbox fitted.

If I could borrow a cover to copy I'd think about having a section welded on to the present cover and then fettle it to look like the original casting. The hand-change cover has a crack that needs welding anyway so it wouldn't be such a terrible thing to do.

Thanks David

David Samways

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: 1934 Blue Star 500 gearbox cover foot-change type
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2018, 16:16:53 »
Bump. Still looking.

mark quinney

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2018, 21:38:58 »
Hi David
There is a complete gearbox on eBay at the moment of the type you're looking for if you type in BSA gearbox you should be able to find it .  It as a starting price of 250 but casing does look a bit rough . if you're stuck and happen to live anywhere near Nottingham I have one you could measure .hope this helps regards Mark

David Samways

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2018, 00:27:28 »
Thanks for the reply Mark. I did see the eBay 'box, it is pretty rough and has already been listed twice. Unfortunately, the owner doesn't understand the concept of a market price and rejected what I regard as a high offer of 150 given the terrible condition. I am patient, one will turn up.

Thanks also for the offer of measuring-up, I think I can make a template from the catalogue illustration, but may come back to you.

Best regards

David

Group Leader

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2019, 21:31:25 »
I know this is an old thread and don't know if you ever got this sorted but do you have to use a different housing?   

I've just discovered that my '39 B21 De-luxe has a Blue Star positive stop mechanism but, for the moment at least, I do not know what gearbox is fitted. 

I think the box is a, not original, hand change unit and the mechanism is mounted on a steel plate clamped in place under some of the gearbox bolts.   The geometry of the linkage doesn't look quite right to me but you can sort of select all of the gears if a degree of persuasion and persisitance is applied to the lever.   I have no idea if the mounting plate is a BSA item or a hand-crafted job by a PO but the geometry might lead to a suspicion of the latter.

Anyway, could you fabricate a similar plate and mount your mechanism on the existing housing and make a suitable linkage?

Just a thought.

Alan
« Last Edit: 16 August, 2019, 21:36:23 by Group Leader »

David Samways

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2019, 21:20:24 »
Thanks for the photos, it's pretty-much what I was planning on doing until Mark very kindly let me have the proper end-cover. Unfortunately, life has got in the way and house and car repairs have dominated my free time of late. Hopefully I'll get my machine sorted soon and will post some photos when finished.

David