Author Topic: Re: A10 primary belt drives?  (Read 204 times)

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: A10 primary belt drives?
« on: 12 August, 2018, 21:11:43 »
Hi,
     I am contemplating a belt drive, preferably oil free in the primary, I would be interested to hear people's experiences and recommendations.

Many thanks...

Editor

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2018, 13:55:27 »
I investigated this option some time ago as I wanted to go 'oil free'. I spoke to Tony Hayward, one of the main suppliers of such kits and he advised and recommended use in the oil bath to ensure the roller bearing behind the clutch keeps on getting lubrication. As such, I gave up on the idea. Others may know differently of course!
Chris

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2018, 17:38:50 »
I ran a belt primary for a few years on my bitsa as one of many upgrade mods. It was OK but in terms of useablity not noticeably difference to the chain and 4 spring set up on my SuperRocket. I had a slight problem with getting the belt to run true so in th end converted back to chain and have not noticed any difference.

In summary I still like the idea of a belt drive from a techy perspective but can't make the opbejtive case for one on my experience.

BTW if you are going to run the belt dry then add ventilation holes to the primary case.

DerekAnderson8

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2018, 20:01:29 »
I am awaiting delivery of a belt drive kit for my Tribsa, its T110 engine with A10 gearbox, i will let you know how it goes.

;)

RICH

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2018, 15:34:33 »
Three of us in the Dorset Group have fitted Bob Newby belt drives and clutches. All trouble free and they run dry.
I have ventilated an old clutch case on my A10 Spitfire and the set up is great. I shall soon be fitting one on my Super Rocket.

Rich