Author Topic: D14/4 difficulty starting  (Read 169 times)

Y13 Alan G

• Star
    • View Profile
D14/4 difficulty starting
« on: 12 August, 2018, 14:13:12 »
I am having trouble starting my D14/4. From cold it takes about 5 mins of kickstarter action before it fires up. Once it has started and warmed up it ticks over like a sewing machine and runs perfectly well. If I stop the engine for 5 mins it restarts straight away. Is there a knack of starting from cold? Any help appreciated.

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: D14/4 difficulty starting
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2018, 19:26:45 »
I have the same issue with mine if I haven't used it for a while. Are you giving it a good flood with the tickler?

Y13 Alan G

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2018, 20:25:09 »
Thank's for your reply. Yes I flood the float chamber but if I do it too much it wets the plug. If I then change the plug it usually starts . I have fitted new ignition coil, HT lead, Plug cap, plug, battery (fully charged), points & condenser as well as a new (proper) wiring loom. I get a good spark. I have read on the internet that the problem may be caused by the bike not being used for a while. The fuel in the crankcase evaporates leaving the oil so when you try to start it there is too much oil in the crankcase mixture. The general advice seems to be to use "Easy Start" in the carb inlet which should make it start ok. Hope this helps us both.

griffo

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:11:29 »
Quite often with difficult cold starting can be bore wear. When it is hot it is OK so metal expasion takes up the wear. Also I have found that changing the points, coil etc. to the Electrex World system realy helps. Big fat spark each kick and once properly timed will never be out of sync. My trials motor was hard to start cold but a re-bore did the trick and including piston cost less than 100..   Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

AdrianS

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2018, 18:01:14 »
My bantam is a pain to start of left for more than a couple of weeks. When it does start it is very hesitant force few times and then gradually picks up. The exhaust is very smokey which shows that the oil has separated in the carb and settled at the bottom of the carb near the main jet. Answer is to use the bike a bit more- don't just start it but run around the block to get the engine warm and clear the carb! Also don't use cheap 2 stroke oil. The bantam guru ( Rex Caunt ) told me many years ago not to put cheap chainsaw oil into my bantam!