Author Topic: Newbie help please  (Read 990 times)

Dave68

• Star
    • View Profile
Newbie help please
« on: 05 August, 2021, 20:58:07 »
My Brother and I have just brought a 175cc Bantam for something to tinker with together.
My Brother is going to take his bike test and Iíve only ever ridden modern bikes but that was a few years ago.
So we have just taken delivery of this rather lovely bike and here comes the silly question.
How do we start it? It has no key which is fine but try as I might to look at YouTube or other website vids I just canít find one that lets me know. I have turned the dial on top of the front light on and opened the valve to let the petrol flow but thatís as far as I get. There is a small chrome box on the left hand side of the handlebars which has a switch and a click button (havenít a clue what that is). The light switch when turned on doesnít do anything so Iím wondering if itís the battery. Just havenít got a clue. So when you have finished laughing and/or rolling your eyes I would be really grateful for some pointers.
Thanks for reading this far and hopefully Iíve managed to download some pictures of our bike.
Oh and if someone could let me know what model this is (doesnít say on the V5 slip we got with it) I believe the year is 1969 but itís come with a new plate number. I know itís a 175cc but thatís it. Sorry I did say Iím new to Bantams :D
« Last Edit: 05 August, 2021, 21:26:53 by Dave68 »

Dave68

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie help please
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2021, 21:24:48 »
Pictures

Stubaker58

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2021, 21:35:06 »
Hi Dave,

Thatís a good looking Bantam, looks like a D14/4. That makes it one of the later bikes and it should have a four speed Ďbox. The engine number should be stamped on the top of the engine, the frame number on the front engine bracket.
The starting procedure is ...

1. Turn petrol on and Ďtickleí the carb (press and hold down the spring loaded knob on left side of carb until fuel dribbles out)
2. Check the choke is off
3. Kick the motor over a couple of times to prime the engine.
4. Turn the ignition switch (top of headlight, on the right) so that the ĎIí faces forward.
5. Kick the motor over with the throttle partly open.
6. Repeat!

NOTE ... the choke is in the off position when the cable is taut.  My bike only rarely needs choke so Iíd try it without to begin with, only put the choke on (loose cable) as a last resort.

This will only work if the battery is charged.  If partially discharged there is provision for an ďemergencyĒ start ... turn the ignition switch so that the ĎEí faces forward.  BUT donít run the engine for long in that position or you will damage the battery/wiring.

The light switch is also on the top of the headlight, ĎHí to the front for headlight, ĎLí for sidelights. The silver toggle switch on the Ďbars is for dip or main beam, the button is for the horn.

Ridersí handbooks turn up on Ebay and are a good investment. The D14 can be a bit temperamental but it should start if the basics are right.

Dave68

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2021, 22:11:10 »
Oh your a star, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
I will go out tomorrow and give it a go and yes I think a handbook would be a very good idea.
Thanks again for your advise.

Stubaker58

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2021, 22:29:30 »
I forgot to say! BEFORE you start give the petroil a good shake (pump the forks up and down for 30 seconds or so). After a time the oil can separate from the petrol and fall to the bottom of the tank, when you turn the fuel on this neat oil then gets to the carb and bungs it up.

If you flood the engine you will need to drain off the excess fuel by removing the smaller of the drain plugs under the engine. Replace it carefully with its washer, tight but not so tight as to strip the thread!

Hope it goes well tomorrow.

Dave68

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2021, 23:23:18 »
Thank you, good advise and boy do I need it ;)

Am I right in thinking the best fuel to use is super unleaded with a good two stroke oil?

My last question as I think Iíve taken enough of your time (but very grateful for it) how much oil to petrol do you use, is there a way to go about it instead of guesstimating?
Only ever just stuck the fuel in to modern tanks without thinking to much about it and waited for the click to say it was full.

« Last Edit: 05 August, 2021, 23:26:42 by Dave68 »

Stubaker58

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2021, 08:52:48 »
Hi,
Petrol oil mixture is a can of worms!  You will get as many views as Bantam owners.  I use something like 30:1 which equates to 175cl oil to 5 litres of petrol.  Itís a bit smokey but Iím running in a rebore. Iíll go down a bit when itís run in, maybe to 150/160cl per 5 litres.
Pretty much any modern oil is far better than what was used back in the day. The view seems to be to use either Shell V power or Esso supreme(?), the latter has the advantage of not having so much ethanol.
Donít forget to check the gearbox oil, it does double duty lubricating the main bearings too.

Whereabouts are you located?

Dave68

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2021, 09:11:09 »
Thatís great, thanks again for your advise.

Iím in Norfolk about 9 miles South of Norwich.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:22:49 »
Hi Dave,

Welcome to BSA ownership and the Forum.  You may have already joined the BSAOC but if not please consider it.  There is a Norfolk Branch and you will find lots of help with your bike and friendly people.
Have look on the BSAOC website for details.
Good luck with the Bantam.

Dave.

Dave68

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:26:24 »
Brilliant, thanks Dave.

Stubaker58

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2021, 07:52:48 »
Did you get it started?

Dave68

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2021, 09:05:03 »
Unfortunately no. But speaking to the owner of my local garage he said they have rebuilt old bikes in the past, BSAís being among them. Iíve only ever seen cars in my local garage so thatís very good news as I can just push it there if I have any problems in the future.
Getting back to starting it, I followed your advice and the step guild but no joy Iím afraid. Itís only going to be something silly Iím sure as the bikes in lovely condition.
The owner of the garage is a lovely old guy who only lives a stones throw from me. He said to push it round to him next week and he will get it going so itís good news all round really.

Y13 Alan G

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2021, 13:56:33 »
Hi, I have an identical Bantam D14 and live 10 miles South of Norwich. If you'd like me to come & help Let me know. I believe you can send me a "personal message" with your email address or phone number.
However, firstly check that the battery is fully charged and that you have a spark. Regards Alan