Author Topic: Centre stand B31 (1952 plunger)  (Read 140 times)

Bles31

• Star
    • View Profile
Centre stand B31 (1952 plunger)
« on: 14 July, 2018, 20:05:52 »
I have tremendous trouble getting my B31 on and off its' centre stand. When the bike is on the stand both wheels are on the ground. I can't feel any severe wear in the stand or it's pivot, but haven't actually stripped it down yet. Does anyone have dimensions for this stand ( leg length in particular) as I'm beginning to think its too short. Or perhaps there is a stop missing which is letting the bike go too far over centre and settling too low at the rear. Any help gratefully received as this is going to do my  back in one day!

Bles31

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Centre stand B31 (1952 plunger)
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2018, 16:20:19 »
Here's a couple of pictures of the bike and its' stand. It looks to me as if the bike has gone too far over the stand and is settled at the back, which fits in with the effort required to get it off the stand. The detail picture shows the stop on the stand butting up against its' mating face on the frame.  Does this look the same as any other B31's? The distance from pivot point to bottom of the foot is 210mm.

BeenyBoy

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2018, 13:35:30 »
Hi

It looks a little worn but not excessive- here are a couple of pix of my B31;

I've found it is an absolute ****** to get onto the centre stand- and the only easy (?) way to do it is to make a short ramp- about 4~6" high that you can run the bike up- flip the stand down and run the bike back down the ramp onto the stand;

cheers

Bles31

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2018, 22:55:16 »
Thanks for pictures - looks same as my stand. I hadn't thought of  your ramp idea which will be handy in the garage. My concern is that I would find it impossible to get a wheel out for puncture repair at the road side with my current stand.
There must be a way to sort this. Where there's a will .........
Thanks.

BeenyBoy

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2018, 13:09:33 »
Good point...a prop stand would solve part of the problem but you're right if you get a puncture its not any good

cheers