Author Topic: C15 New Owner  (Read 434 times)

fastmonkey

• Star
    • View Profile
C15 New Owner
« on: 29 June, 2018, 11:28:34 »
I've managed to acquire this lovely C15 this week. It was a blind ebay purchase so it has some bits to sort no doubt. I'm a total novice to classic bikes as well so a long term project !

2 questions first if I may, it has an SS prefix to the engine number, does this mean it's a sports star and if so what does that mean specificall?

The other one being the carb has no air cleaner on it, and no room to put one I don't think..........

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: C15 New Owner
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2018, 12:36:19 »
The C15 Sports Star had a more highly tuned engine than the standard C15 and a larger carb to suit. It also has roller big end bearings which were much more rugged than the standard plain bearing. The C15 used a thin filter arrangement mounted just behind the rear panel with a rubber hose connecting it to the carb - I beleive the SS was the same.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2018, 13:47:04 »
Below is the C15SS 80 from 1962 catalogue.

It looks like standard C15 colours so it could be a originally have been standard bike with SS80 engine fitted later in its life.

fastmonkey

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2019, 10:39:28 »
Just bringing this thread back to life, the bike is now out on the road and I've done about 30 miles on it. It's not really idling properly and I've had to turn the idle adjuster up so it doesn't keep stalling. Its riedable but wants to run on all the time so needs sorting.

Someone said it's the wrong carb, i'm new to this so not sure which one specifically it should have, it's the SS80 engine.

I wondered if I'm better off buying a new one thats the right match for the engine or whether I should get the current one off and get it cleaned and set up right ?

MICKREEVES

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2019, 11:57:20 »
The  ss 80 model had-
A sportier cam.
Comp ratio raised to 8.5/1
Slightly bigger inlet valve.
Should reach 80 MPH. (Mine does).
Mick

Mark B

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2019, 12:57:25 »
Fastmonkey, I'd definitely investigate your current carburettor before shelling out for a new one: get it ultrasonically cleaned, new gaskets etc, and check the jetting inside. Then you'll see if it can be set up correctly.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2019, 13:41:52 »
Hi,
     Hope this helps:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/4874/

Best wishes...

fastmonkey

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2019, 15:09:34 »
Fastmonkey, I'd definitely investigate your current carburettor before shelling out for a new one: get it ultrasonically cleaned, new gaskets etc, and check the jetting inside. Then you'll see if it can be set up correctly.

Ok, how difficult a job is it to strip it down and learn what's wrong. I'm a complete novice when it comes to carbs but have some basic mechanical competency ?

fastmonkey

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2019, 15:09:59 »

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2019, 17:25:58 »
Hi,
       Lots of useful info here: