Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 16484 times)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #105 on: 28 August, 2018, 10:36:53 »
With some problem as yet undiagnosed the question of a breather is one to consider as part of the whole solution.

With the rear chainguard removed can you see anymore of the leak?

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 28 August, 2018, 18:17:58 »
I've avoided removing the rear chain guard as it's a bit longwinded getting decent access to the front securing bolt.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 28 August, 2018, 18:36:49 »
Unfortunately I dont think you will get the full picture of what is happening without removing the chainguard.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 29 August, 2018, 10:57:15 »
I'm not sure the rear chainguard is preventing me seeing where the leak is coming from.  My best view (but still not good enough) seems to be from ground level on the other side of the bike, ie the right hand side, the off side. The rear chainguard does, however, prevent me poking a finger behind where the alternator wires leave the primary chaincase in order to find out (here's a novice's question): when the alternator wires leave the primary chaincase, and before they come into view again above, just in front of the rear chainguard, are they in open air?  I put some silicone sealant of the grommet on the inside of the chaincase and am just wondering if that is what has almost, but quite, cured the leak. Could the leak be there?  Phil.

PS I will start a separate post about breathing.

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 12 April, 2019, 18:59:56 »
I've just had the very same issue. I'm nearing the end of a 3 year rebuild of a C15 and placed the primary side cover without putting some sealant in and around the grommet that holds the wires from the generator. I started it up and within a few seconds saw the red oil dripping (ATF). I quickly took the cover off and put a new grommet on with plenty of sealant, cover back on, fresh ATF, left it a few hours and started it up, no oil leak all good.

BobM