Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 16485 times)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #90 on: 26 July, 2018, 10:23:41 »
The clutch bearing and pushrod will have been greased on assembly so lubricated.

My A10 has electronic ignition and has to be run less chaincase to strobe the timing, have done that just yesterday with no ill effects.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 26 July, 2018, 14:30:38 »
Pushrod?  I didn't grease the rod which pushes the clutch plates open - is that the one you mean? Should I have?

Obviously I greased the roller bearings.

Phil.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 26 July, 2018, 14:49:09 »
All I greased was the roller bearings. Should I have greased anything else?   Phil.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 26 July, 2018, 15:05:55 »
I always grease the pushrod end on assembly it takes a lot of pressure when disegaging the clutch.

The only other thing is oil or grease the oil seals/shafts before assembly.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 26 July, 2018, 15:13:37 »
I didn't grease the end of the rod. Also I don't think I greased the oil seals/shafts. Is that a problem? Does it mean I'd better not start the bike without the casing on and the chaincase oil in?

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 27 July, 2018, 15:33:11 »
Me again, plodding along with my old 1965 B40F leak search.

I've just started the bike up, without the primary chaincase cover on. All seemed okay to me. No obvious sign of a leak. Clutch seems to work okay (hurray, that's a relief, as I've never had one to bits before), except the lever is maybe a little bit stiff. 

A couple of questions before I move on to replace the cover and put the oil in the primary chaincase:

1. What's the likely cause of the clutch lever being a slightly stiff? (I've put WD40 through the cable)

2. The wire from the alternator goes through a couple of rubber grommets, which don't seem very oil/weather-tight. I guess the one on the inside of the primary chaincase needs to be oiltight?  Maybe I should put on a dab of silicone sealant on it (on the outside I suppose)?

Thanks yet again.   Phil.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 27 July, 2018, 16:21:41 »
1. Springs done up too tight? Cable run poor,maybe taped to the fame?

2. Silicone a good idea. I would do it from the chaincase side an push it well in a bit harder to get at the other side.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 27 July, 2018, 17:26:14 »
Yes, thanks Julian, I think you're right - I'll push some silicone into the grommet from inside the primary chaincase. Access to the other side of the grommet would be difficult anyway - I can't even see it! (might be able to if I took the rear chaincase off but that's a bit of a tedious job because of difficulty accessing the front nut.)   

I slackened the clutch springs very slightly but stopped then as one of the coil springs deformed as I turned the nut. I got it back to shape with pliers thankfully. Clutch lever isn't too bad anyway, so I think I'll leave it at that.

Phil.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 27 August, 2018, 16:22:51 »
I wonder if there's anyone there who has been following this. Anyway, here is an update, and of course a plea for help. Having replaced the oil seal behind the clutch, and the one at the gearbox sprocket, I have put everything back together, refitted the primary chaincase cover, and today took the bike for a run, just eight miles. The leak is much, much less, but I see looking under the bike that it is still there. Please see the attached photo, taken from the right hand side side of the bike, so the front of the bike is to the right of the gearbox drain plug. Any ideas please as to where the oil is coming from? (you might remember the leak only happens when the engine is run.)    Phil.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 27 August, 2018, 16:41:33 »
Looks like it is either coming from the circular oil seal plate/chaincase joint or running around the edge of the recess for the plate from above.

Having sealed off the chain oiler have you arranged a breather for the chaincase.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 27 August, 2018, 17:46:44 »
Thanks Julian, but could I, as a novice, ask you please to explain in idiot-proof terms:

1. When you say the circular oil seal plate/chaincase joint, do you mean via the gasket at the outside diameter of the plate behind the clutch (aluminium plate about an eight of an inch thick and about, say, five or six inches in diameter)? I cleaned that plate and fitted a new gasket. Or do you mean the oil seal in the middle of it? I renewed that.

2. You say the oil might be running round the edge of the recess from the plate above. Could you explain please? What recess in what plate above?

3. Do I need a breather for the chaincase?

Thanks very much.  Phil.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 27 August, 2018, 19:58:23 »
1. Yes thats what I mean.

2. Your photo seems to show that the oil smear starts at the circular plate which takes the oil seal. If this is so then either it is coming from that joint or it is coming from somewhere higher up and the oil is following the edge of that plate.

3. Maybe maybe not. The B25 from 1969 featured a baffled breather plug, Blocking off the oiler means the case is effectively sealed. See my post on this thread on 6th July.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 27 August, 2018, 21:23:09 »
Thanks Julian. Here is your post from 6 July:
Looking at the 3 streaks of oil on the back of primary chaincase I would check that the alternator cables are a good fit in the  rubber grommet and if in doubt a dob of silicone, that no oil has been passing along the chaincase screws at the top of the cover -  tell tale being oil on the screws when you removed them. 
If not already fitted I would replace the chaincase screw in plug with one with baffled breather, or drill a small breather hole in existing one. You can get a bit of pressure in there especilly if the chain oiler is blocked.

Where is the chaincase screw-in plug? Presumably not the Allen screw that is removed to drain the case?

I notice Rupert Ratio advises replacing the chain oiler with a nut, but says nothing about a breather.

It seems that something I've done has very much reduced the leak, but not quite totally stopped it. Could be one of the new seals I fitted?  Could be the new gasket on the circular plate?  Could be the silicone I put on the hole where the alternator wires leave the case? 

Any other thoughts, Julian?  Or anyone?

Phil.

Phil.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 27 August, 2018, 22:52:11 »
The plug is the one you take out to adjust the clutch.

On its own it wont stop your leak its just something else to consider.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 27 August, 2018, 23:40:35 »
Thanks again Julian.  Regarding whether or not I need to fit a breather for the primary crankcase, now that I've blocked off where the chain oiler was, you say "maybe maybe not". Does it depend on something else, or are you yourself not certain? Any other opinions on this, anyone? Has anyone else blocked off the chain oiler, and if so did you fit a breather?   Phil.