Author Topic: A65 stainless steel nuts & bolts  (Read 59 times)

Charles R

• Star
    • View Profile
A65 stainless steel nuts & bolts
« on: 14 June, 2018, 18:01:50 »
I'm trying to replace as many of the bolts, studs etc as possible with stainless steel equivalents on my 1970 A65L.
There are at least a couple of issues with this.

1. Will the stainless steel equivalent be strong enough?
2. What are the sizes/threads?

For most, the latter question is simply answered by checking the old bolt.  However in my case the old bolt is sometimes missing and other times is blatantly not the correct part.  For example the bolts that should be holding the fork caps have been replaced by over-long studs, but at least I know they are 5/16" UNF.  Others are less obvious, for example the fork drain plug, is it 2BA or what?

Does a list exist identifying all these types of fixtures such that I could then buy a stainless steel version?  Do any of the fixtures need to be made in high tensile steel?

Cheers, Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: A65 stainless steel nuts & bolts
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2018, 18:13:03 »
Pinch bolts H/T. I got 90% of my sizes from Draganfly's parts list. Find a main supplier of S/S, a few lads on here posted a few recently on one of the threads, try searching S/Steel. Regards.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2018, 18:52:04 »
The parts book shows the thread sizes of a number of the fixings. It also shows the material specification of some of the fixings - those needing high tensile fittings.

The 1970 bikes had a mid season change from bolts to studs and nuts for the fork end caps. The service bulletin below shows the change.

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2018, 20:56:21 »
Hi Charles,
                 Try this link for your 1970 A65 fixings part numbers:

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/a65anda50/category/126-1970-

Draganfly do a lot of stainless reasonably priced, if you want to make or source your own use this link for sizes etc.:

http://stainlessbits.com/link12.html

Best wishes...