Author Topic: B31 not starting  (Read 1857 times)

JammyRedRoo

• Star
    • View Profile
B31 not starting
« on: 13 June, 2018, 11:33:55 »
Hi all new to BSA and to this forum, i have had my B31 Plunger for 6 weeks and have only managed to get it started ones in all that time then it conked out a mile from home and had to push it back i think that was my fault as i left the choke on. The guy i bought it from started it 3 kick from cold so I am sure its me and not the bike. What am i doing wrong i know theirs a knack to starting these things especially with the advance & retard as the lever seems to move only between say 9 o'clock & 11 o'clock is that normal or have i done something to it, all help would be greatly appreciated. 

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: B31 not starting
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2018, 18:58:53 »
Mine was easy to start for me. The chap I sold it too thought it was a pig until I went and showed him yet again how to start the beaut. Now he is as happy as can be, he's got the 'knack' .   Have a word with the bloke you bought it off and try to get him to come and go through how he 'cracked-it' . He' be a bit miserable if he wouldn't help make you a happy bunny. If your anywhere near South Cheshire I could pop over and give a hand...    Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2018, 19:26:59 »
The above sounds like very good advice. Have you tried the "factory standard" method?
Ignition fully retarded
Tickle if from cold
Hold the decompressor in and kick it a couple of times to prime it.
Release the decompressor
Gently bring it up to compression (more of a push than a kick)
Hold the decompressor in and nudge it JUST over compression
Let the kickstart come back up
Release the decompressor
Big kick and it should go.
Corrections welcome from those who disagree.
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net

Mark B

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2018, 13:10:52 »
That works for me Dabbist. The only thing I'd add is to lower the air choke if the engine's cold.  (Push the lever away from you). 

ducati2242

• Silver Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2018, 14:32:55 »
When I first finished restoring my DB34 I must have kicked it over 200 times before I got it started . Checked the ignition/valve timing ten times and good every time . Now I start it as Dabbist suggests and it fires up 1st kick every time . If every thing is right you still have to master the knack .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1968 mk1 Rocket 3
2006 ducati 999R .

JammyRedRoo

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2018, 13:14:10 »
Hi all thanks for the great replies, Griff thanks for the offer but i think Co Durham is a tad too for for you. I will give the "Factory Standard " method ago and if no joy i will give the bloke a ring as he lives only a few miles away and told me to give him a shout if i needed help with anything. Just checking is fully retarded lever away from the rider, slack cable is that correct ? 

Mark B

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2018, 13:22:12 »
Correct! I have my ignition midway between advance and retard.

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2018, 22:12:40 »
I have an infallible method of starting my B31
I turn the fuel on, put the choke on (Mikuni carb), turn ignition on, pull the valve lifter, press the red button, release the valve lifter then release the red button as it starts