Author Topic: A 65 Rebores and re-sleeves  (Read 2906 times)

Spitfighter

• Star
    • View Profile
A 65 Rebores and re-sleeves
« on: 08 June, 2018, 17:11:26 »
As is evident from my previous postings I have a 1966 BSA A65 and engine rebuild in progress.

The cylinders have already apparently been rebored to +40 thou over standard and now I see that the lower skirts of the sleeves have been broken and repaired. Cracks are still visible but the engine appears to have been run (successfully?) with the repair in place.

Plan A was that I had been going to have the engine bored out to +60 but now I see this repair more closely I begin to doubt whether that would be sensible given the uncertainty about the repair, especially if reground.

Plan B would be to have the barrel re-sleeved and taken back to standard and go from there but some earlier enquiries elsewhere drew a blank on new sleeves apart from expensive ones from the USA or some UK ones that needed trimming somehow.

Can anyone advise and help on either Plan A or B or even your own suggested plan C, any idea of costs of them and who could do such work?

I am based in North Yorkshire so northern recommendations could be very helpful.

I have also asked PES from South Yorks who advertise in the BSAOC mag the same question but they seem to have gone home for the weekend so I have had to email them. (Is this reasonable for a Friday when some of us are just getting focussed on our tasks for the weekend??  ;) )

Thanks
Alastair

Jackson

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: A 65 Rebores and re-sleeves
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2018, 18:09:33 »
Can’t help about A65 specifics, but I’ve just had an A10 resleeved with IMD sleeves and pistons. http://www.imdpistons.com/ They don’t have an A65 kit on their website but it might be worth contacting them, they were very helpful with me. I think they may do one offs.
As far as modifying the liners is concerned, I think that they usually need slots cut in them to correspond to those on the skirt which allow clearance for the con rods. My engineer didn’t bat an eyelid at this and made a nice job of the slots. He was a bit worried about splitting the skirts though, but these were at +60 already.
Just about to start putting it back together next week.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2018, 18:19:54 »
Given the damage I would consider a Plan C - source an undamaged cylinder with a rebore left in it.

A few years ago I had my A10 linered with proper lipped liners, larger cutouts for billet rods, blasted and painted and one helicoil repair, with GPM pistons (did not want the cheap new hepolite). Cost including carriage was just under £700. SRM did it. A perfect job.

Liners usually need trimming around the base to match the cylinder, should be no problem to a decent engineer.

I would avoid non lipped liners which have been known to move.
« Last Edit: 08 June, 2018, 18:26:08 by JulianS »

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2018, 19:04:48 »
Hi,
    I bought my A10 lipped liners from here:

https://www.westwoodcylinderliners.co.uk/products/browse-by-application/

They didn't have lipped in stock but expertly found a very close equivalent for £42 each. It maybe worth Emailing them with your requirement.

My A65 cylinder has a crack in the lower skirt. I bought some crack detector and developer to expose the extent of the crack, drilled a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it migrating and am using it.

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2018, 11:43:40 »
 :)

My son is just having an A65 relined with lipped liners. Job is being done by AD Engineering  Newark-on-Trent area. So maybe if you email Adrian Goddard adrian803@btinternet.com he can tell where to get the liners.

Mike 8) 8)

Ken Oaff

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2018, 21:04:21 »
best solution and most expensive is a new set of barrels from SRM and take it out to 750cc

given you are looking at buying another set of barrels and pistons this may not be that much more expensive

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2018, 17:51:22 »
 :) :)

SRM barrels are £1156.87.

Mike 8) 8)

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:13:16 »
OUCH!

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2018, 13:53:31 »
Be aware that to sleeve a barrel will require boring it to around 6mm over size. Some BSA barrels do not have a lot of "meat" in the area above the base flange and have been known to part company.

Spitfighter

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2018, 11:08:55 »
Just an update on the rebore.

Spoke to Adrian at AD engineering in Lincolnshire as suggested by Mike Farmer and ended up taking the cylinder to him. He made up and put in a new standard sleeve to fit the standard pistons I took with me.

The job took a few weeks but the cost was reasonable (£330) and the job looks good. He cleaned the cylinders before working on them but the price did not include any paint after. I have since sprayed them with HT paint. He advises against powder coating cylinder as he has had some overheat as the PC doesn't dissipate the heat as effectively, apparently.

It has taken time to get round to putting them back on the bike so we are still some way from running them but all looks good so far. Thanks Mike.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2018, 14:58:08 »
 :)

I'm really pleased that you got it done. and I agree Adrian is not exactly the "Mo Farrah" of engineering. But the work has always been up to a high standard.

Mike 8) 8) 8)