Author Topic: Victor Special zener diode  (Read 904 times)

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
Victor Special zener diode
« on: 08 June, 2018, 12:52:54 »
The zener diode on my bike is well and truly cooked so rather than go all solid state I'm going to have a go at fitting a new diode inside the brass case.  Does anyone with a knowledge of electronics know what type of diode would be suitable?
Thanks in advance.
Nick

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Victor Special zener diode
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2018, 13:04:21 »
Save yourself the hassle. Buy a reg/rec for any bike with a permanent magnet alternator, it will usually have 5 wire, 3 x Yellow connect any two to the alternator output, Black - and  Red +

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2018, 13:47:17 »
I know Andy and that will probably end up being the outcome but it's a rainy day and I fancy a challenge.  Shouldn't be too difficult if I can find the right rated diode....
Nick

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2018, 20:10:28 »
A 12v zener is no use at all, it needs to be 14v. 50w is in danger of turning into smoke with a 60w alternator

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2018, 06:33:40 »
Thanks for your replies chaps.  From the BSA service sheets the voltage across the zener should be between 13.5 to 15.5 V a load of 2A so maybe an even bigger diode is required.  Anyway despite poor condition of case turns out my zener diode actually still works!  So that kicks that can down the road.....