Author Topic: Any good pictures of Sapphire Blue (063) Bikes ?  (Read 127 times)

hoogerbooger

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Any good pictures of Sapphire Blue (063) Bikes ?
« on: 07 June, 2018, 11:44:42 »
I'm hoping to double check if my 1965 B40 is not in the right blue.  I have established via this forum that sapphire blue (063) is the correct colour for a B40 Star of that year.

But the paint RS Motorcycle paints supplied is a different shade. They are reputable and have kindly checked their mix record for me. So looks like the previous owners paint job wasn't right.

However, if anyone has got a good picture of a sapphire blue bike that they are pretty sure is how it should be I'd be keen to see them.

I attach a photo of my bike. Obviously pictures are never as good as a first had side by side comparison but photos and comments still appreciated.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Any good pictures of Sapphire Blue (063) Bikes ?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2018, 15:46:11 »
I found the Sapphire blue supplied by RS to be much to pale a shade.

Always hard from a photo but below are 2 shots of a new old stock BSA Sunbeam scooter tool box lid in finished in Sapphire blue.

hoogerbooger

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2018, 17:12:54 »
I would say that isn't too different/potentially the same as I have on my bike ( which I don't think is original by the look of the yellowy undercoat that shows through in places)

(In my case he colour RS supplied is a slightly darker truer less 'pasteley'  blue)

Any more photos welcome.

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2018, 17:01:36 »
I should imagine it's quite difficult to be definitive about it. I've heard lots of tales about people buying replacement parts (when the bikes were still quite new) and the paint not matching. Apparently they bought paint in batches and weren't terribly hot on the quality control.
It reminds of a mate of mine restoring an army Indian in Sweden. He ended up phoning a guy in the US who'd worked in the paint shop, to find the right colour.
The reply he got was "Green, there was a war on, so we just mixed the end of one batch with whatever we got next"
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net

hoogerbooger

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2018, 17:32:30 »
Interesting. If it gets confirmed as an official BSAOC view that the colour varied I might get the whole bike resprayed  in the colour RS sent me ......as I prefer it!!!   ( but feel compelled to stay within the original scope,)

(when I get the Machine Dating check done, I shall probably find out it was red  & I'll be asking the same questions on a different colour !!).

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2018, 17:59:22 »
Rupert Ratio comments at length on this too. His summing up is, "...neither I nor anyone else can look at a BSA and categorically say that the colour is right or wrong. If it approximates to one which is known and can be recognised then that should be good enough."
Actually, he's wrong. He, or any BSA pundit could look at mine and say it's wrong, but I like the colour.
I do sympathise with your quest for correctness though. Good luck with it not being red. 

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2018, 18:09:55 »
You got me curious. According to RR the 65 B40 Star only came in Royal Red or Black.
The SS90 (And US models) was available in Flamboyant Blue or Flamboyant Red.
The C15 of the same year was available in Nutley Blue, which I think was the same as Saphire Blue.
I think he got that information from the catalogues and BSA may well have deviated from them.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2018, 18:35:57 »
Sapphire blue was listed as an option in the 1965 catalogue.

However I dont think many if any were produced in it.

A lot of the 1965 B40 were exported and a lot were military spec bikes also for export.

I dont think it sold well in the UK domestic market.

If you want to be sure of the colour a dating certificate from the BSAOC will show its colour if it is shown in the despatch book.

hoogerbooger

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2018, 18:44:54 »
Yes.... Julian confirmed this on a previous thread. Rupert appears to be wrong in this case.

He was previous kind in not pointing out that it was unpopular  :-[

I shall take stock of this  :'( and will in due course be getting the BSAOC dispatch book check done, as soon as my membership stuff comes back.

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2018, 22:38:48 »
Thats what i like about this forum. Every time I come on it I learn something new. ;D