Author Topic: Historic Class Change - DVLA Website  (Read 1310 times)

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Historic Class Change - DVLA Website
« on: 06 June, 2018, 08:25:52 »
I decided to have a go at taxing a 1971 B25, which has not been on the road since I restored it many years ago, using the DVLA website. To my amazement, the website recognised that it should be in the Historic Class and it is now fully tax and MOT exempt after simply putting a tick in the right box. Couldn't have been simpler. I might do the same for all the other BSA bikes I have in my collection. However, not sure this will result in a new V5C being issued with the change of class but will see what happens.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Class Change - DVLA Website
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2018, 10:04:04 »
Managed to change most of my BSA bikes to Historic Class online but a number failed. In one case this was due to the date of manufacture not being recorded on the V5C for some reason - may need a Dating Certificate. However, in two other case, it recognised the bikes as being of Historic Class but then tried to charge me for road tax - will need to phone DVLA to sort out. In the main, a very easy way to get TX/MOT exemption. :)

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2018, 10:26:50 »
Just clarified the situation with DVLA (sort of). It appears as though some of my bikes were registered many years ago as HISTORIC CLASS as far as road tax is concerned by virtue of them being pre-1978. It was these that were accepted by the online system. However, others were not previously registered as being HISTORIC CLASS and so need the V112 form being submitted. So it looks as though if it a bike was already registered as being in the HISTORIC TAX CLASS before the new rules came out, it doesn't need the V112 form submitting to qualify for MOT exemption.

B44RVictor

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2018, 13:04:03 »
Just for the record.  I've received my Tax Renewal Reminder today for my 1967 BSA B44R Victor Roadster and noticed printed on the Form "THIS VEHICLE NEEDS AN APPROPRIATE MOT TEST CERTIFICATE" which concerned me a little, so I telephoned them.  After waiting about 5 minutes, the lady at the DVLA told me, Oh that's OK.  That's printed on all forms as standard ? ! ?  I asked her to confirm my bike was MOT exempt and she confirmed it was.  Oh well, at least I didn't have to wait longer than 5 minutes.  ???

CLIVEDACKUS

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2018, 11:38:33 »
So do I understand this correctly? What we are saying here is that if a bike is already tax exempt it automatically becomes MOT exempt WITHOUT the need to fill in a V112 form??

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2018, 14:33:19 »
If you try to tax it on line it should give you an option to declare that your bike has no modifications and make it historic . I just took my log books to Tesco's Post Office with forms V112. They changed it to Historic .

( MOT Exempt ) and Taxed my bikes and all free of charge.