Author Topic: 1969 B44 Victor Special.  (Read 1689 times)

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
1969 B44 Victor Special.
« on: 30 May, 2018, 22:46:06 »
I have owned the motorcycle for about 2 months now and work has started in earnest on restoration.  An enquiry with an officer of the BSA Owner's Club at Stafford revealed that the bike was made in Nov 69 (consistent with frame no.) and exported to the Eastern USA BSA dealer in New Jersey in early 1970.  I bought the bike as a restoration project form the West Midlands, UK, (it has matching numbers, and was mainly all there.)  It has never been registered in the UK, although it was a barn find and has apparently been here for a decade or so.  It was recovered from someone's estate after their death and comes with no documentation whatsoever, although I was assured all import duties have been paid.  The bike came with an energy transfer ignition system suggesting it could have been a competition bike at some point, although the frame etc. is surprisingly unmolested (aside from some broken brazing and a minor crack.)

I am clearly a newbee to owning an imported vehicle and would be very grateful if someone out there could advise me how I could find more about the history of the bike.  Is it possible to find out about who owned the machine in the US, when it was repatriated and who owned it here?  I am also new to classic bike blogs so apologies if this is a well discussed subject.

Thanks in advance.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 B44 Victor Special.
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2018, 23:00:35 »
You can apply to the BSAOC Dating Officer for a Dating Certificate which will tell you were the bike was originally despatched to. See the following link:

https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/applyformachinecertificate.html

DON GRAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2018, 16:29:49 »
Hello Nickdun,

Funnily enough I did exactly what you are undertaking just over a year ago. The same model too! I bought my Victor Special from a chap who had ridden around the woods for a bit on it, then left it unridden for several years. It too was repatriated about 10 years ago from Texas & came with no documents - other than my purchase receipt. First thing with regard to documentation is to get a NOVA form from HMRC & you'll get it cleared that there is no duty payable on it. It all seems a bit daunting to start with but the guide on this website as given above is very helpful. Just follow the steps... Then once it's all rebuilt & together you apply for an age related number plate, having got a dating certificate from the BSAOC to prove it is what it is!

I too would be interested in finding out where my bike had been from it's despatch in 1967 to the US before coming home but I believe that the US transport depts don't hold records for such things like us Brits!

An interesting project. Wishing you good luck! 

DON GRAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2018, 16:38:07 »
To encourage you here's mine as it was finished at the end of last year......

ducati2242

• Royal Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2018, 17:50:34 »
There must have been a batch of them .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1967 bsa B44
1955 matchless G9
2006 ducati 999R .

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2018, 21:41:43 »
Thanks for the inspiration guys.  Mine looked like this 6 weeks ago (there are a lot more scrap parts on it than is apparent in the photo)

now its a pile of bits, and that's a bit demoralising.  Still some elbow grease (and a pile of cash) will remedy that.  In my experience the enthusiasm starts to grow again when the first few powder coated bits start reappearing.  Looking forward to a blast in 18 months to 2 years.  Where'd you guys get the chain guards and mud guards?  They seem to be hen's teeth at the moment....

DON GRAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2018, 09:11:36 »
Hi Nick.

Stating the obvious really...but in case you didn't know the books by Rupert Ratio are the "Bible" for these bikes... full of useful info & improvement tips. As for mudguards, mine came with the alloy jobs but they can be had from a couple of places I spotted on the interweb...Try Feked. They took over the Sammy Miller offroad stuff. As for chainguards...you're right, they're hard to find especially in half decent nick. I had to do quite a refurb job on the one I tracked down. I believe there's someone in the states who has had some made.....but blimey.... Good luck!

ROBT

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2018, 15:16:25 »
Common, aren't they!
Has anyone carried out the Carillo conrod modification and if so, by whom?

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2018, 19:04:27 »
Don, Ducati, Nick and Rob. Do your B44 s vibrate more than most bikes?
Mine does.
Mick

ducati2242

• Royal Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2018, 21:17:43 »
Mine doesn't vibrate badly at all . It vibrates more than my DB 34 but not too bad . The again I dont over rev it and keep it to about 65 mph in top .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1967 bsa B44
1955 matchless G9
2006 ducati 999R .

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2018, 06:31:16 »
Have taken mine to top speed once. This was 89 MPH, at 6500 rpm. Exactly correct for this model.
In town traffic it will cruise at 30 MPH in top gear OK. It vibrates at all speeds, not at certain rpm. I hope to meet another B44, to compare.
It is not pleasant to ride.
My C15 SS was designed to reach 80 MPH at 8500 RPM. Mine was short of this. 8500 was the rev limit, and they were prone to
fail at those high revs. I geared mine up by two teeth on the output. Now it would be about 6500 at 70 MPH.
It struggles to reach that, but is happy at 65. Of couse, I could hold in third gear to get that extra if I wanted to, I dont want to!
The bike is pleasant to ride.
Mick

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2018, 07:07:32 »
Mine hasn't run for donkey's years.  When I took off the sump plate there was a gudgeon pin circlip in the filter.  It was undamaged so I assume it was dropped in there by mistake and not recovered (I assume if it'd passed between the piston skirt and bore it'd be very damaged.)  However there was also a bit of broken piston ring......I fear the worst....   

It's off to be reconditioned in a month or two.

BEEZABUCK

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2018, 23:41:34 »
Hello Nick
I have an early Victor Special(Enduro) of 1966 which came back from USA in 1990 with 720 miles, so the bike was completely original and had E/transfer ignition which was awful, no advance/retard, these were fitted to the early ones, I would have thought that yours should have a battery/coil/points, but well worth looking at an electronic kit, tanks were always Yellow, far as I know. I get parts from Burton Bike bits. Lovely engine, great fun to ride and pretty looking bikes.

Good luck
John (Somerset)

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 June, 2018, 12:49:24 »
Hi John.
Your bike looks good, hope I get there soon....
I think mine has been used competitively at some point and the battery (and tray) have been removed and presumably there'll be an energy transfer alternator in the motor (haven't looked yet!)  Mine should definitely have a battery and alternator etc. as it's a much later bike than yours.
Nick

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #14 on: 08 June, 2018, 20:48:23 »
Mine now has the bigger C25 tank.
Mick