Author Topic: 71 Starfire TLS front brake adjustment!  (Read 2409 times)

Barney Rubble

• Star
  • Rubble, Rubble, you're in trouble!
    • View Profile
71 Starfire TLS front brake adjustment!
« on: 19 May, 2018, 14:36:20 »
As above. I have a new cable with lever end and mid length adjusters. I cannot get a sensible adjustment- with all the adjusters full out, I can still pull the lever all the way back. I tried looking to see if the operating levers on the brake plate were on splines, but they are on squares, so no joy moving them around.
Is there something I am not seeing here? I thought it was fitted with the brake cable that has a switch part way along for the brake lamp, (where there is an adjuster), but no switch is fitted. Nor any spare wires.There remains so much cable slack that the brake is totally unusable. Any ideas what I need to do? I can't find my old manual now.

All advice is welcome!
If it ain't broke- fix it 'til it is!!

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: 71 Starfire TLS front brake adjustment!
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2018, 15:00:42 »
If it is a full width hub, used on the Starfire in 1969 and 1970, then you need to shorten the inner cable to get adjustment, presuming your linings have sufficient material and are not worn out.

If it is the 1971 B25SS with conical hub then the brake is adjusted using the adjusters in the hub, see service sheet below.

Both models should have an in cable brake light switch, but pattern cables may not have one (refer back to the supplier of cable) or a previous owner may have decided, sometime in the past 47 years to dispense with it. It is easy enough to add wiring for one when a suitable cable with switch is fitted.
« Last Edit: 19 May, 2018, 15:05:38 by JulianS »

Barney Rubble

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2018, 12:56:39 »
Hi Julian,,
no such luck for me! It is this type-
so I guess I need to chop some wire....bah! Shoes were replaced. Is it possible to turn the cams 180 degrees to get a better 'offset'? Cheers.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2018, 13:29:57 »
I would be tempted to fit a suitable ferrule on the lower end of the outer cable which would raise it above the fork mounting lug and reduce the free play on the inner cable by at least 1/2".

Barney Rubble

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2018, 15:15:53 »
I would be tempted to fit a suitable ferrule on the lower end of the outer cable which would raise it above the fork mounting lug and reduce the free play on the inner cable by at least 1/2".
Thought about that.I can knock summat out on the lathe if I need to.  It already has 2 adjusters in it. Seems to me, that whoever makes these cables needs to get their act together and measure correctly. Maybe, it needs the brake light switch- it could be that the cable is to suit that, but can't find pics of a switch to enable me to see if it would make any difference.
A work in progress, then, of one sort or another! Cheers.

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2018, 16:46:13 »
Your brake does not look to be adjusted correctly, the levers are at different angles.
Remove one end of the bar and let the two levers find their own possition on the cam flats, then adjust the bar to this size.

My levers are parallel.
My cable has the switch in it.
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2018, 16:54:11 by ROYC »
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

Barney Rubble

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2018, 17:59:33 »
Ah, I see. What I did was, took the cable clevis off the front lever, and hed each lever so that the cams put the shoes in contact with the drum, then held them there (with my 3 arms) then adjusted the link rod so the screw end betweeen the levers had the pin holes line up. If I make the arms parallel, I think the rear cam won't make contact, but will try it tonite. Thanks folks.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2018, 18:04:12 »
Thought about that.I can knock summat out on the lathe if I need to.  It already has 2 adjusters in it. Seems to me, that whoever makes these cables needs to get their act together and measure correctly. Maybe, it needs the brake light switch- it could be that the cable is to suit that, but can't find pics of a switch to enable me to see if it would make any difference.
A work in progress, then, of one sort or another! Cheers.
The title of your post is 71 Starfire but I assume your bike is a pre-OIF B25. If so, the front brake cable should be part 60-2053. Is this the cable you have or have you got one for a later OIF B25. You can't get the brake light switch fitted anymore but the cables provided nowadays are made to still give the correct inner cable free play.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2018, 18:13:10 »
The 3 arm method is difficult - the shoes slide so may not both be in the best position.

Turn the plate over and adjust the rod so that the end of shoes are on the flat part on the cam. When bedded in dont adjust the rod as the shoes will then need to bed in again.

The switch, when fitted, is on the cable and cannot be removed (or added) without removing one of the nipples.

These brakes are also quite spongy - you can usually pull the handlebar lever back to bar when bike stationary, but try it on the move, when the shoes slide on the brake plate, and you will find it is a superb brake.

Some pattern shoes may not be quite the same dimension as the original items.

Cables are a sort of average, the originals were made to suit Amal levers with  7/8 inch between centre of cable nipple and centre of lever pivot screw, many repro levers are 1 1/16 centres which does have an effect on cable length.

Cables which are too long overall dont help.

Many of us make our own cables so that they are always the right length for our bike.

Barney Rubble

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2018, 19:40:59 »
AWJDT- it is indeed a pre OIF B25, it has Starfire decals on it, so assumed that is what it is. There seems to be too much inner cable to outer length. I think nearly 35mm. This is the cable that was on when I got the bike, so part number unkown.

Julian- it is not merely spongy, but cannot 'wind in' enough slack to make the shoes contact, except merely rubbing lightly; I may shorten the inner if no other obvious defect shows up, after the previous advice has been tried. Thank you everyone.

FWIW, I had read that these were a pain to adjust, and not so hot even when done correctly. I think it will be OK, (eventually) and am not worried, lol!

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 May, 2018, 20:11:21 »
FWIW, I had read that these were a pain to adjust, and not so hot even when done correctly. I think it will be OK, (eventually) and am not worried, lol!

I have a sidecar fitted and the TLS brake on mine is very effective at stopping.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2018, 20:59:39 »
Possible someone put a cable for an 8 inch TLS on it.

Contrary to what you have been told these brakes are excellent, light and powerful and by far the best of the BSA drum brake.

Below from the 1969/70 workshop manual detailing how to adjust the tie rod.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2018, 06:14:23 »
I take back what I said about the availability of the Starfire brake cable with switch. I see Burton Bike Bits do cable 60-2053 with switch fitted for £29.99.