Author Topic: Need help with my BSA Shooting Star not starting  (Read 2329 times)

JohnnyB44

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with my BSA Shooting Star not starting
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2018, 23:04:59 »
I appreciate the help as I am in rural Pennsylvania with no British shops around.  Seems like there are tons where you are.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 May, 2018, 07:09:32 »
Derek...thanks so much for the tuning article!  I think that must be the problem...the little drillings are blocked as not gas is getting up into the cylinder head.  Is it necessary after removing the carb to take out the pilot air screw to clean with carb cleaner?  If so is there a number of turns that is standard for screwing it back in so then engine will start?

I would take it out and flush through each hole in turn blocking off with fingers as you go(you'll know what i mean when you start) the airscrew should be adjusted but i would start with 1 1\2 turns out from closed. It will make it easier to start if its fully in as mixture will be richer, but start with 1 1\2 out.

read section 3 in guide its easy when you have done it and makes it easier to understand.

cheers

derek

JohnnyB44

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2018, 16:56:02 »
Thanks Derek...I'll post after I clean it out.  I plan to use a carb cleaner.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2018, 17:46:50 »
Perfect post some pics as well.

I had a B44 scrambler a few years ago i had planned to do some classic racing on it but didnt happen, it was a handful off road! it ran on methanol and had some other work as well.

Special technique to start taking piston just over compression and good kick and it would usually go for me, but a brute if it kicked back!

Good luck

derek

JohnnyB44

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 May, 2018, 14:43:32 »
I know what you mean...if I get Thunder (my bikes name from when I bought it new) on a bad day, it'll kick back like a donkey but over the 50 years I owned Thunder, usually one to three kicks will fire him up...I  had a salesman at a motorcycle dealership that was not familiar with a kick starting fire breathing one lunger that used a compression lever to start bet me he could start it without using the lever.  Long story short, he managed to get the kick starter down but it came up with such force, his foot snagged on the foot rest and it fractured his ankle.  He limped away reneging on his $5 bet. ;)

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 May, 2018, 15:48:49 »
ouch!

there must be a lot of people out there who have been hurt by trying to start British singles.  I would always have a boot on my right foot when i wanted to start it, i had a few close shaves and learned quickly!

;)

cheers

STEVE G

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 May, 2018, 21:28:17 »
If so is there a number of turns that is standard for screwing it back in so then engine will start?
The usual way is to count the number of turns to screw it in all the way, often 2 to 4 turns. Then remove it, clean it, then screw it in all the way and then back out the number of turns you counted before.