Author Topic: B40 Silencer  (Read 664 times)

STEVE G

• Star
    • View Profile
B40 Silencer
« on: 20 May, 2018, 21:57:30 »
Hi.
My 1962 B40 silencer has no packing / sound absorbing material inside it. Apart from a perforated plate near the outlet you can see straight through it. It is certainly loud, and riding down the street attracts lots of attention. Dogs bark, children grab hold of their mothers leg and teenagers look up from their iPhone for a at least a couple of seconds. At first I thought it was a glorious sound, but after a long ride even I'm tiring of it and I'm contemplating packing it with something. Yet, the loud exhaust is definitely a safety feature. Never mind cars puling out in front of you and the lame excuse "Sorry mate, didn't see ya", they hear me coming and don't pull out in front of me.

So, what's your opinion? To pack it or not? And if I do pack it, any suggestions on what and how much to use?
Steve

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: B40 Silencer
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2018, 22:29:41 »
Ear plugs do wonders for a noisy exhaust.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:39:37 »
Most silencer made for BSA 4 strokes are straight through, looking in one end you see right through and only see the central preforated tube. Any absorbing material being packed between the tube and silencer shell. Any packing you introduce will soon be blown out.

You may find a difference between slincer from different makers.

You can buy baffles, which fit in the end tube, such as this ebay item

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Silencer-Insert-Baffle-1-3-8-inch-34mm-x-8-inch-WE38015/331840161432?hash=item4d43370698:g:-0MAAMXQUS

They can cause a significant power loss.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2018, 11:10:36 »
My B44 peanut silencer - or as I saw on a forum post once, "loudener" is from Armours & has a very healthy bark. Gets you noticed & on a long ride you need earplugs &/or a decent fitting helmet like my Davida otherwise can be wearing after a while. Dunno what to suggest as stuffing cos it'll ultimately get blown out...sorry.... 

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2018, 16:23:58 »
Mine has a perforated tube running through with absorption packing around it. I haven't heard it yet (still in lots of bits) but I've used a similar design on other bikes. Not quiet, but takes the edge off and softens the sound a bit. You can buy perforated stainless tube and the wadding on line, so maybe you could modify it yourself.
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net