Author Topic: Floor covering  (Read 586 times)

om15

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Floor covering
« Reply #15 on: 11 May, 2018, 11:30:58 »
I have used the Halfords tiles in my garage, I have three bikes, downsides are that the weight of the bikes causes indentations where the wheels sit, as already mentioned expansion in the sun, and you need to use a square of plywood under the side/main stand.
Upside is that it is much warmer generally in the garage, and particularly if you have to lie down.
I had painted the floor previously with good quality floor paint, but the side stands did keep bringing it off.

The tiles are easy to cut with a Stanley knife, at a tenner a pack I think I used 4 packs, all in all glad I did it despite the drawbacks.

MITCHELL

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 May, 2018, 18:02:23 »
Not sure if this would work in your instance but in my own garage I placed 25mm polystyrene over the floor and then used tongue and grove chipboard over that gluing the joints,at the front I placed a piece of angle stainless steel to cover the edge and make a solid edge for the bike to go up, works well and adds a bit of insulation to the tootsies, cheers Dave.

BILL NELSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2018, 21:08:12 »
A few houses ago I built a garage and sealed the new concrete floor with an old tin of polyurethane varnish diluted 50-50 with white spirit. It soaked in & took at least 3 or 4 days to dry properly in summer heat, but was good afterwards - I never got around to doing a coat of garage floor paint before I moved again.