Author Topic: Floor covering  (Read 346 times)

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Floor covering
« on: 10 May, 2018, 18:52:21 »
Any ideas for a cheap, suitable material for covering my bike shed's concrete floor (4m x 2m)? The concrete constantly gives off dust (presumably the wrong mix by the person who laid it), so I don't want anything which needs adhesive, as it won't stick to the dusty surface. Preferably something that I can just lay on the floor and which won't curl up at the edges, is suitably non-slip, etc.   Thanks in advance. Phil.

DEREKANDERSON8

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Floor covering
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2018, 18:58:20 »
These  ;)

https://www.diy.com/departments/auto-pro-interlocking-eva-foam-black-floor-mats-pack-of-6/1270021_BQ.prd

i have got some and they are good, easy on the knees as well!

derek

MITCHELL

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2018, 19:17:37 »
Played some very similar on a garage floor on an extension we built a couple of years back, did the job well except for when the garage door was open and they were subjected to bright sunlight, the expansion caused then to lift, so plan for an expansion gap around the edges if a temperature difference is likely, good luck, Dave.

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2018, 19:25:51 »
Thanks. But aren't they too soft under a motorbike centre stand? I was looking for something to cover the whole floor, including the bit under the bike.   Phil.

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2018, 19:31:09 »
Thinking about answering my own question, maybe a tile left out and a bit of plywood where the centre stand goes?  Derek, Have you had the expansion issue experienced by Mitchell?   Phil.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2018, 19:42:00 »
The simplest way of solving the concrete dusting problem is to use Ronseal Concrete Seal which will cover about 6 sq m per L. I used something similar years ago to seal the floor before using garage paint on top. I'd like to put down some rubber matting now but this is relative expensive and I'm worried about it being easily damaged. With a painted floor, you can periodically re-paint it to cover up any bare patches that develop.

Greybeard

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2018, 19:55:21 »
Garage floor paint or even a diluted PVA will seal the dust in (you'll get dust from any untreated concrete floor) and a handful of those carpet sample tiles where needed will suffice to protect the finish from centre stands - and it keeps the bike's feet warm in winter  ;)

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2018, 20:04:14 »
I tried diluted PVA but it wore through almost immediately where the tyres sit, even though I'd given it two coats, and it peeled up badly in a number of places after a few weeks/months.  It's a very dusty surface. So I'm assuming the same will happen with any concrete seal?   Phil.

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2018, 20:05:35 »
When I say it wore through where the tyres go, maybe it lifted rather than wore through, I don't know, but anyway there was very soon no sealant where the tyres sat. Phil.

DEREKANDERSON8

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2018, 20:20:53 »
Thinking about answering my own question, maybe a tile left out and a bit of plywood where the centre stand goes?  Derek, Have you had the expansion issue experienced by Mitchell?   Phil.

no i cant say i have, but the garage has no direct sunlight hitting floor.  I liked them because they are easy to fit and cheap!

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2018, 06:35:41 »
It does exactly what it says on the tin :)

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2018, 09:07:25 »
AWJDThumper, you seem so confident, I'm tempted to give the Ronseal a go. Trouble is my floor at present has some places where the PVA has stuck and others where it's peeling, and others where it's scraped off. I guess I could just get off the loose stuff and then try the Ronseal. Do you think?

Also, why, after you'd used it, did you then put paint on top? What's the purpose of that?  Is it to make it more hardwearing?

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Phil.

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2018, 09:09:13 »
Derek, In case I do end up going for the tiles you have suggested, could you tell me please: are there chamfer bits provided so that the bike would run up over the edge without damaging the tile?  Phil.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2018, 09:29:11 »
The concrete sealer is intended to stabilise concrete in which quite a bit of dust is created - if the concrete is of very poor quality and is crumbling then it won't work. At various times, I have used a rotating wire brush to dislodge the worst of any loose dusty concrete or other unwanted covering before painting.

I've extended my workshop a number of times over the last 20 years. For the original floor, which was at least 50 years old, I used 'International' garage floor paint which recommended the use of a concrete sealer for bare concrete which I used. However, for all the new areas of concrete I laid, I found that using just garage floor paint without a sealer coating first was more than adequate. In particular, I found Ronseal garage floor paint very good and touch dried within a few hours and was ok to lightly walk on after 24 hours.

Painting the floor is relatively quick and cheap but may not be ideal if the floor is to take a lot of abuse. I would like to put some matting down but I'm not yet convinced the time and effort involved and the cost would be justified.

DEREKANDERSON8

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 May, 2018, 10:35:06 »
Derek, In case I do end up going for the tiles you have suggested, could you tell me please: are there chamfer bits provided so that the bike would run up over the edge without damaging the tile?  Phil.

Hi phil the tiles are about 10mm thick and quite soft so you wouldn't have any trouble getting a bike on to them.

I would if had the choice i would paint the floor, my old garage floor was painted.

I am hoping to get this one painted in the summer.

cheers