Author Topic: New Find and project  (Read 3183 times)

ClintB

• Star
    • View Profile
New Find and project
« on: 01 May, 2018, 03:07:35 »
Hello All,

New to the boards and new to the BSA family as I just got my first BSA. It is a full project with very little to go on. I have been trying to find out the year and model of the BSA and I am just not sure if I have it right and if the motor and frame even are a matching set.

Motor is an A65EC.xxxx
Frame is A50B.xxxx

Based on what I could tell this would be a 64 Spitfire and I would like to get confirmation I am even close as I am trying to get this old machine back to its orig design and form. It has had a hard history and this will be a lot of work and money as in the US there is seems to be a lacking in easy to find parts so far but the game is just starting.

If anyone has any suggestions on things to do and places to get parts I would be open to any help anyone is willing to offer. Thanks in advance.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: New Find and project
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2018, 10:26:19 »
Get a dating certificate from BSAOC which will tell you exactly what you have, whether frame and engine left factory together and when and to where it was despatched from the factory.

https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/machine.html

A65E prefixed engines were Spitfire Hornet in 1964 and 1965 season. Most were exported to the USA.

Below from 1964 West Coast USA catalogue.

ClintB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2018, 14:26:11 »
Julian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to get it back to orig and the bike was used as a dirt bike for a while and is missing a lot of the orig pieces and electrical. This will help me figure out what it is suppose to have verses what I think it should have if I can get a copy. I am sure that neither of the forks are orig so I will need to find a set of forks from the wheels up and then keep going. I am just trying to get it running and operational and then figure I can work on getting things cleaned up/painted as time and money permit.

This is more a labor of love than anything as this was 1 of 10 my wifes uncle had before he pasted away last year and was also the worst of the bunch and so getting this running and back to orig is key. I know he wanted to get it restored but his health was not good enough. I was last in line to get a choice of the bikes.

I am not a bike guy normally, but have been interested in them just never really look into them. I have had several muscle cars that I have rebuilt from ground up and the bikes seem to be a lot smaller and less in pieces but they also seem to be more swapping of things and grey areas. So really wanting to stay in the lines on this rebuild.

I have attached a couple pics and if you look will notice that it is pretty rough shape. Not sure why I cant get the pics to be turned correct but I guess it will have to do for now.
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2018, 14:27:47 by ClintB »

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2018, 15:39:09 »
My 1971 Thunderbolt was worse than yours, I have called it Christine after a horror film about a car. I started with the frame and it is nearly brand new again. Hope you have a good slush fund.
Good luck and keep the postings and questions coming.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2018, 16:11:41 »
One of my favourite A65 models!

I see you have a nice set of ceriani forks and yokes there! they would have been a nice upgrade back in the day!

;)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2018, 16:29:00 »
Looks like someone has modified the frame by welding/brazing an extra bracket just in front of the petrol tank.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2018, 16:37:26 »
steering stops for the different forks?

ClintB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2018, 17:34:47 »
Not sure on the stops yet for the forks. I am still looking for a set of bearing to use with them. I have a set of orig bearings but I dont have a set of orig forks or triple trees so kind of in a bind as what was on it was the black forks you see next to the ceriani forks. So going to try and put the ceriani on for now until I can find a replacement orig set. The issue I am having is the ceriani have a 1" shaft for the bearings while the factory bearing I got are a 11/8". So far not having good luck to get the ceriani to work but also just got started.

So the once I can get the forks mounted i will see what the steering stop will be like. This maybe a wait and till I can afford/find a set of orig forks as I am not cutting or welding/brazing anything to the bike that should not be there.

I think there are a couple things that have been brazed on but waiting the shop manual and searching for good overall pics so I can go through the bike and remove the old stuff that is broke and not working and also all the mods that was done. I just think I have a couple things like the front braze so nothing has been cut I don't think yet.

Will be a long project getting the right stuff but have no set time frame it needs to be done in and cash is a little issue so will bank roll as I can. Plan is to get it running and ridable and then go front to back repair and replace.

So if anyone knows a trick or a place to go for bearing to fit the ceriani I would be very interested.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2018, 18:34:56 »
If you haven't already try britbike.com forum.

Lots of info and good parts for sale on there, its got a bigger US following so maybe useful to you.

But dont forget to keep us posted with pictures!

;)

ClintB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2018, 02:47:37 »
found the bearings at Lowbrow customs

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/bsa-harley-neck-bearing-conversion-fit-a-hd-or-springer-front-end-to-your-bsa.html

Just not sure now if putting the Ceriani Forks with its triple tree on is the right thing or wait until I can get a set of forks that are orig. to just get a used triple costs the same as the bearings and I already have a new set of bearings to fit the orig triple tree.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2018, 07:53:47 »
It depends what you want to build, i would put the Ceriani forks on, they wouldn't look out of place in my opinion. But if you want to be as original as possible then you would have to source BSA forks.

What front wheel do you have?

regards

derek

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2018, 10:06:08 »
 :)

All the original fork parts are available, tho you might have to shop around and rebuild them yourself. Ebay is usually quite good.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

CROFTY1984

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 May, 2018, 10:27:17 »
I've had worse!
Best of luck with the restoration.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2018, 15:08:08 »
 :)
Hi

I've just had my annual think about this and would recommend that you go onto one of the parts sites. For me I would go onto Draganfly Motorcycles. (That spelling is correct) They a have very wide parts base but equally important you will be able to find the part numbers of most if not all of the bits you may need.

You may then find it easier to source parts your side of the pond.

Mike 8) 8)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2018, 16:50:42 »
British Only https://www.britishonly.com/ is good for parts over your side.
Indeed I got a NOS head for the Super Rocket from them some while ago.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910