Author Topic: 350cc Blue Star clutch woes  (Read 1196 times)

LES

• Star
    • View Profile
350cc Blue Star clutch woes
« on: 27 April, 2018, 22:30:21 »
My 32 Blue Star came to me in many pieces. Included was a box of clutch parts, containing bits from more than one bike. I have sorted most of the parts for the BS clutch,
and I think I'm almost there, but I am stumped by the fact that according to the parts book I need 6 fibre plates, 2 metal driven plates, and 2 metal driving plates. It seems to me that 5 fibre plates would be the correct number, but this formula persisted in later parts books. Can anyone offer guidance on the 6th plate, or am I missing something again?  The only diagram I can find of a complete clutch is for the Empire Star in the 1936 parts book (p147), and calls for 8 fibre, 3 driven, and 4 driving, for a total of 7 metal plates and 8 fibre, which looks right, with the sliding plate on top of the 8th. fibre plate. Does a drawing of the BS clutch exist?
Also, in said box, I have two sliding plates with 4 studs and a recessed centre for the spring, but the recess is deeper on one than the other, any idea of the correct depth?

Thanks, Les

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: 350cc Blue Star clutch woes
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2018, 17:13:03 »
Les when assembling the clutch first on is a back plate (15 294), next a friction disc, next the chainwheel then the rest of the plates including the other friction discs.

So the 6th plate is behind the chainwheel which should be recessed to accept it and the backlate.

LES

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: 350cc Blue Star clutch woes
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2018, 17:39:50 »
Thanks Julian, mystery solved. I had not realised there should be a fibre plate between the back plate and clutch basket. Your explanation and the diagram made this very clear.
All I need now is to find out the depth of the spring recess on the sliding plate, (15-308) If anyone has a spare, I'd appreciate them measuring it for me, I have two, with different depths.

Les