Author Topic: Oil return  (Read 814 times)

AdrianS

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Oil return
« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2018, 08:19:10 »
When I fitted my rebuilt engine back into the bike, I was advised to take the plug out, loosen one of the rocker feeds, and run up and down the road with the bike in 3rd gear until oil drips from the rocker feed! Also recommended to use clear reinforced plastic oil tubing so can see the oil being returned from the engine!

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 May, 2018, 19:37:31 »
Phil

The ball bearing may still be in your pump and ready to do its job:

Like you I didn't locate the ball bearing on probing, leaving me with similar concerns.

Out of curiosity I've just bought a pump off ebay.... and guess what no obvious sign of the ball bearing, but I could hear a slight rattle on shaking. On inspection with a torch and my best pair of specs I think I can see the bearing at the top....but it won't drop by shaking or sucking on scavenge pipe. When I suck (or blow) on the scavenge tube there is hardly any air movement.

So I took the pump apart. The top end of the scavenge pipe  is off-set in the zinc bottom plate from the opening into the pump lower gears....so as far as I can see the bearing can not travel up to touch the gears.  With this plate off , when I suck on the scavenge the ball bearing obviously moves and immediately seats at the top of the pipe and would block flow down. when I blow it unseats so oil would flow up.

I'm left wondering if the ball bearing at the bottom of the scavenge tube is just a misleading load of pants to wind up us novices...........as if we didn't have enough things to panic about !!

I feel reassured anyway.... but will also take the helpful advice on filling approach,  as postees have provided

( as for the pump I bought ....the scavenge tube itself seems to be out of alignment...with the bottom leaning to the bike front direction...I presume they should point straight down and perpedicular to the pump body. If anyone know otherwise let me know as I'm presuming it's a duffer...although internals looked good)
« Last Edit: 02 May, 2018, 19:40:36 by hoogerbooger »

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 May, 2018, 20:12:14 »
Yes, me too. But as you might see on the other thread I started, mine's on hold now awaiting a standard oil filter and associated union nut etc from Draganfly (I've decided to bin the gas tap) - should be with me in the next few days.   Phil.