Author Topic: Oil filter  (Read 390 times)

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Oil filter
« on: 23 April, 2018, 15:59:52 »
Hello everyone, I thought I'd do an oil change on my 1965 B40F. In between the oil tank and the engine is a modification put in place by the previous owner - basically a valve (an old gas valve I believe) to cure the problem of oil running back down into the crankcase, when the engine isn't running, because the standard non-return valve is not working properly. So when you go to start the bike, as well as turning on the petrol, you must remember to turn on the oil. Anyway, when I took this valve fitting off the tank, rather than find a standard filter, I came across a mesh disc (see photo). In the mesh disc appear to be a few bits of metal. Any thoughts please? Thanks in advance.   Phil.

ducati2242

• Royal Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
Re: Oil filter
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2018, 19:09:05 »
I wouldn't have either in the oil line . Disaster is always looming I have a Morgo filter on my bsa gold star and took the mesh filter in the oil tank out . It dosent make sense to have a filter in either the tank or the line as if it gets blocked the engine is going to be wrecked anyway . On a ride out last year a fellow rider with a norton that he'd had for 40 years forgot to turn the oil tap , he'd fitted in the line , back on after lunch stop and by the time he remembered it needed a full rebuild .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1967 bsa B44
1955 matchless G9
2006 ducati 999R .

Greybeard

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2018, 20:56:02 »
Why turn the oil off for a lunch stop?  :-\ If an engine drains its oil tank in an hour or so there must be something seriously wrong with the pump etc. Surely it's only necessary when the bike's going to be left standing for several days or even weeks and that's normally when it's back home. It's a simple enough task to hang a reminder on the handlebars that the oil's turned off.

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

ducati2242

• Royal Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2018, 21:05:13 »
Why turn the oil off for a lunch stop?  :-\ If an engine drains its oil tank in an hour or so there must be something seriously wrong with the pump etc. Surely it's only necessary when the bike's going to be left standing for several days or even weeks and that's normally when it's back home. It's a simple enough task to hang a reminder on the handlebars that the oil's turned off. Steve

Dont ask me . As said I wouldnt do either .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1967 bsa B44
1955 matchless G9
2006 ducati 999R .

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2018, 21:18:32 »
Should I be concerned about the tiny pieces of metal?   Phil.

ducati2242

• Royal Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2018, 22:01:58 »
They could have come from many places if it were mine id fit a magnetic sump plug and run it . Especially if there are no symptoms of any engine failure . I would look into fitting a filter though and find out where the wet sumping is coming from . Might be an easy fix .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1967 bsa B44
1955 matchless G9
2006 ducati 999R .

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2018, 09:59:08 »
The filter kit from a Norton Commando seems to be the "standard" modification. Easy to find on line.
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net